PDA

View Full Version : Heads for an 89

Jeffandjosh
07-29-2003, 04:57 PM
Hi,
I'm brand new to this forum. Been interested in mustangs for a while, even building a DOHC for my 99 GT 'vert. Lost interest in that when the ex got the 'stang. However, the good news is that I am now interested in the SC since I met a wonderful woman whose teenage son has an 89. Now on to the question.

The SC has the same old problem - blown head gasket. I think it would be cheaper to just find some rebuilt heads and install them rather than going to the trouble of having the original ones rebuilt, milled, etc. I tried to do a search, but maybe I don't know what to ask. Basically, I am trying to figure out what heads I can use on an 89 SC. Are the heads different between an SC and an NA? Do certain years fit and others don't?

Another question. Looks like antifreeze in the oil. I suppose I should really pull the engine and put in new bearings. How difficult is this in the SC and where can I find instructions?

Looking forward to some good information, good discussion, and good laughs on this forum.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jeff

Randy N Connie
07-29-2003, 10:07 PM
Jeff.
1. The heads are different,but all SC heads are the same.
2. It cost about $75.00 to have milled if needed.
3. If you have anti freeze in the oil.It is a very good chance
that you can change the bearing now,or wait and and the
motor may seize,or rod may start to knock.HOW LUCKY ARE YOU.
Depends how long it was drivin with the anti freeze in the bottom
end.
Top end gasket set is about $125.00

good luck randy