rearend noises

Douglas Walker

For about a week now, I've heard a strange noise coming from the rearend. It doent do it all the time but its the same noise when Im going 15 mph or 65mph. I had the rearend of the car off the ground and found it was coming from the pumpkin. My mechanic said the pin broke or came loose and is hitting the cover. Is this a common problem with the SC's. Has this happened to anyone and if so do u have pics or info on what u have to fix or replace.

Thanks
Doug

Anyone have an Idea??

I've read a few posts on this topic but there arent any pics or what was actually found and replaced. Ill keep looking, Id also like to hear from those this has happened to or someone that has an Idea on what I might find when I tear into it.

Thanks
Doug

umm dont drive it, if the cross pin breaks it will lock the entire rear end. Just open the cover and look first

found the noise

THE SAGA CONTINUES[/QUOTE]

I sheared the bolt from the pin in the carrier assembly. The noise was the pin hitting the input gear. There was no visible damage to any of the gears. The hole on the carrier is not round anymore. But if I keep my foot out of it I should get by for alittle while at least till I buy a new assembly. The play is hardly noticable but thats besides the point. Does anyone have a part # for the carrier assembly or would u go with a used one..also price range on both.

My sc is like a star wars movie "THE SAGA CONTINUES"

Attachments

• mvc-005s.jpg
    mvc-005s.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 92
yea thats really dangerous, if you do too many "one tire fires" it weakens the cross pin and shears, or way too much load. I have just the carrier for sale, just swap your limited slip and spider gears over. PM me if you want it

Back