Auto Meter tech info

SuperCoupeSC91

At least for 1991 SC

Auto Meter Tech just talked to me about these (electrical gauges)

To monitor the Drivers side O2 Sensor you can tap into the computer EEC at pin # 43 (Tan/White Stripe)

To monitor the Passengers side O2 Sensor you can tap into the computer EEC at pin number # 44 (Tan/Orange Stripe)

For an Electronic Speedo Gauge you can tap into the EEC at pin #3 (Dark Green/White Stripe)

For Tach is Yellow wire with tan stripe on the DIS Module harness

The thing to keep in mind with the o2 sensors is that most cars have stock a oxy sensor that basically only knows within tollerance, and outside tollerance. And that's it. It can't measure any fine numbers so when out or range, you won't know how out of range it is.

So even if you tap it at the ECM, you still have the limited outputs from the sensors to work with.

I guess the point is that O2 gauges with stock o2 sensors are really fairly useless. Save that hole for coolant temp/boost/oil temp, intake air temp, transmission temp. anything else. Or invest in some fairly expensive wide band oxy sensors.

said you dont need the WB02's said that the stock ones will fluxuate from giveing it gas it should go lean then when not it should go more towards the rich i believe, he said it will fluzuate though..

oh it will at idle and cruising..but at WOT....they wont read right...it'll give a solid reading...but it'll be wrong.

Kinda off topic, but Mike, where do you tap into to get a air intake temp? Just a normal temp gauge? Thanks, I have always wanted to know intake temp!!

He's not wrong, just a bit point less. You can tap the signal, but stock oxy sensors just don't give meaning full readings when you really need them. They just are not designed to do more than what the engine computer needs.

There is a charge air temp sensor just before the intake manifold by the firewall after the air leaves the intercooler. I haven't tapped anything in so I'm not sure if you can just wire in parallel with that sensor or not. When I get mine setup I'll want to monitor SC outlet temp and intercooler outlet temp.

He freaking works for Auto Meter, he isn't gonna tell you its a peice of crap and it doesn't work.

Well...got to disagree a tad here. It is true that the reading you will see is not an accurate measurement but the meter can be useful regardless. I had a bogging condition which was intermittent. It finally lasted long enough to see both banks were full lean. I think I fixed the problem with a new TPS Sensor...at least it has not come back since I replaced it. Point being I would have never know if I was bogging due to too rich or lean had I not had the AF meter. Given I have an EEC Tuner I may have gone down the wrong path in my troubleshooting efforts.

As far as a wideband Sensor......EXPENSIVE and the sensors themselves have a limited life WAY shorter than that of the stock O2 Sensors.

Back