cv shafts and Cracked block??

Bigme574

My buddy has an 89 5-speed SC that we have been replacing parts on. His right rear cv shaft is split open and out of grease. I managed to patch it in order to pass inspection but now we have his gas tank, exhaust, driveshaft, and tranny out. Would it be reasonable to replace the shaft and change the DIFF fluid at this point? Or will it be just as easy as if the stuff was all on the car?

My next question, i got an 86 ranger for $380, it has new paint and it said it needed a head gasket. I ripped hte head off, and drained the oil, suprisingly there was about 12-15 quarts or emulcified oil/coolant. Now does it sound like a cracked block? There was all kinds of white smoke from the exhaust, and the head gasket does not look too bad. (not blown at cylinders) But it was easy to remove the bolts like they were not torqued correctly, and the number 2 cylinder is clean as hell. Just wondering if I should assume a cracked block so i can go ahead and swap in my 3.8 SC!!

Thanks for reading!

Aaron

2.9 V6 or 4cyl motor on the ranger? 2.9 is known for head gasket failures but also cracked heads. Coolant in the oil almost assures you of damage to the crankshaft bearings. Antifreeze mixed with oil creates an acid that scores the journals and kills the bearings.

To pull the axles you need to drop the rear spindles so that you can side them out of the rear diff. The stuff you pulled helps, but isn't always necessary.

It's probably the headgasket. While you are having the head resurfaced and a valve job done have them pressure check it first. That way you will know if you need a new head or not. Cheap easy fix. May have been loose bolts, or if there are any coolant lines that run into the intake manifold check those.

Jeff

neato

Thanks for the replies, I have the head set and a bunch of other stuff, i'll go ahead and do it, and be sure to torque it better than the person before me. I hope the block is OK...man, this one 2.0 iron head weighs more than 2 of the aluminum SC heads!

If only SC's were as cheap as this ranger. The head set was only $31.99!

Thanks again guys,

Aaron

Back