Brake fluid leak, Please HELP!

iwannanSC

Every month or so I have to add brake fluid to keep the light on the dash from illuminating. I have not noticed any fluid on the ground under the car, on the backs of the wheels, or on the tube leading down from the reservior. I think I have found the problem. I believe that the fluid is leaking from this thing in the picture. Could someone please tell me what this is and what I can do to fix it? It is located on the driver's side just behind the front wheelwell on the undercarriage of the car.

Thanks alot,

Matt

Attachments

• brake line.jpg
    brake line.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 354
Had same exact problem. Cheap 13 dollar fix from NAPA. Had the part in stock. (very suprised) It has something to do with regulating the pressure between the two front wheels and the rear feed. I think its called a pressure switch of some sort. Obviously not the same pressure switch located in the abs assembly. I thought my accumulator was bad and my master cylnder was leaking.....what a releif it was.

Joe

Any more info on this? I have the same prob. Would love to fix it cheap. any info on the part number or name or what to ask for?

Where on the car to fix it/how?

Nice 21 question :) thanks

--lance

No real info on part. I was over a year ago I bought it and I'm sure I lost the invoice for part no. The parts at guy at the local NAPA is pretty good. I just unscrewed the little switch and brought it down there. He knew what I needed and brought one up to match.

Joe

PS If your local NAPA doesn't carry it, try AutoZone or Advance Auto. They always seem to carry parts for our cars.

Maybe somebody else will be able to chime in with a part number... I've been having the same untraceable leak problem with brake fluid. And in my own experience, it is uncommon for a parts guy to be able to identify a part on sight! :rolleyes:

[ The parts at guy at the local NAPA is pretty good. ]

Thought that was made clear....

Also check your Haynes book if you have one. If I find mine I will check it and see if I can get the exact name of the part. Once again sorry but I can't offer part numbers.

Joe

Update:

I am finally getting around to fixing this problem. I took the picture of it to my Napa and they said they didn't know what it is but they don't carry it regardless (they must have magical powers that the rest of us don't possess). I then took the picture to a reliable auto parts store, and they said that it is a Proportioning Valve. They said the only place to get one is at the Ford dealer. So I called the Ford dealer, and the guy didn't sound like he knew what I was talking about. So to get to the point, I need a part number. If anyone knows ANYTHING about this, please let me know. Thanks alot,

Matt

I done some checking in the Ford manual and that part is the rear brake proportioning valve. That is what Ford calls it.
I'm sorry but I dont have a part # for it.
I have the diagram # for it if you end up going to Ford for it.

EDIT: Looks like that sender unit is leaking, maybe you can get a new one of those.

The part is shown in the "Brake system, Antilock" section in the "Description" sub section. The # listed on the diagram is 2B091.
Maybe that will help them understand what youre talking about.
If this doesnt do you any good get ahold of me and I'll find you one.:)

Alright, I visited the FORD dealer today. We found the part number, but as it turns out, Ford no longer makes this part. I have the old part number. The part number as it was when they discontinued production back on February 22, 2002, was

E9SZ-2B091-D

I guess I am going to have to go find one in a junkyard because I haven't been able to find anyone that makes them aftermarket as of yet. If anyone knows where I can get a new one, please drop me a line.

Thanks alot and hope this info helps,

Matt

Wow talk about timing. I just got off the phone with Dan Newman at Joe Cooper Ford he is the parts man there. I didnt know you were still having trouble or I would have asked for you.
Call 1-800-266-6049 ask for Dan Newman tell him Mike sent you.
Dan is real good about getting supposedly discontinued parts and his prices cant be beat.
Call him up and see what he can do.
Hope this helps you.:)

That is the brake pressure switch that tells the Ride Control system you just stomped on the brakes.
Mine leaked the same way through the switch.
They were $125 from Ford here in Canada last year.

Alright thanks Mike,

I just called and he says there are a couple strewn around the country; he's going to check on them and give me a call back tomorrow. Thanks a MILLION for your help,

Matt

Youre welcome dude! See Dan does go the extra mile for you. I dont even go to my local dealership for parts anymore, I just give Dan a call.
He does'nt tell you somethings not available anymore just because it will take a little effort to find it. If its in Fords inventory anywhere he will find it and get it to you.:)

using a lot of fluid

I've had that same brake leak problem. Finally I think I know the answer. Thanks everyone.

Alright,

Dan at Joe Cooper Ford hooked me up, as it turns out there's only 2 new ones left in the country, and they're sitting in a warehouse. The warehouse knows how rare they are and wants $150 each. If anyone wants to call them they are Green Sales and their number is 1-800-543-4959. I got one from the junkyard today for $20 (off my local doner SC; half the parts on my car came from this one; if I had the room for it I'd buy the whole damn car - I offered the junkyard $100 for it and they said they might do it - too bad it's motorless!) So there's some info for all you who need it. I'd go to the junkyard if you can find one there.

L8r,

Matt

Back