5speed experts...

Billabong089

What would cause 5th and reverse not to go into gear? 5th is non existant and lol reverse will kinda go in then it grinds like crazy, like its almost in but not quite.... but anyway.. I'm just wondering if its worth like fixing that? or would that require the whole trans rebuild? third grinds too, the trans has about 135k miles...

I can get a remanufactured tranny for $750 so i'm leaning toward that option.

Thanks...

Do a search for M5R2 shifter rebuild. Chances are that's all you need at this point, if there are no other problems.

Jeff

If there is a problem with the 5th/rev gear, then repair is pretty simple. The whole tranny doesn't need to come apart. I'd lean towards a shifter issue first though.

Yea I'm going to order a B&M short throw and try that...I had my fluid changed and there was a lot of metal in it but it worked fine for 2 months and then all of a sudden I had no 5th and reverse, my shifter is extremely loose and well it really needs to be replaced....The guy at cottmanns transmissons said it wasnt the shifter but he didn't even look so I will definatly try that, if you guys save me a $1000, i will love you lol.

probably the split pin sheared off for 5th and reverse its up in the shifter forks its just a small pin something like a cotter pin that holds the shift fork to the shaft

Last edited:
remove the drive-shaft and knock the pin out of the shifter rod (use a magnet) and slide the extension housing off. Maybe a bad syncro assembly? 5th and reverse use the same I think

You can rebuild the stock shifter with about $55 in parts from Ford. The stock shifter is pretty nice when its not all worn out.

if you place the shifter in neutral and push it up and down and feel any movement the bushings in the shifter are bad

yea I can move that thing up and down, its so bad lol, when i put the car in gear, like 1st and stuff, the shifter is still loose and I dont know how to describe it other than that I'm really hoping its just the shifter, because i dont have the money to replace the tranny right now.

Assclown, why would I have to remove the driveshaft and all that ? You lost me a little bit on that.

You will have to remove the center console then take a 10mm socket and remove the shifter housing from the tranny. All this from inside the vehicle. Very simple. My local Ford had all the parts in stock.

Calvin

[edit]Check this link out, it will help you get the necessary parts to do the rebuilt. Shifter Rebuilt

Last edited:
Thanks , I just ordered a B&M ripper shifter ( didn't have time to rebuild and order parts ) and a new shift knob, it should look pretty good, hopefully this fixes the problem, I'll let you guys know, I'll have the part in 2 days...

Billabong089 said:
yea I can move that thing up and down, its so bad lol, when i put the car in gear, like 1st and stuff, the shifter is still loose and I dont know how to describe it other than that I'm really hoping its just the shifter, because i dont have the money to replace the tranny right now.

Assclown, why would I have to remove the driveshaft and all that ? You lost me a little bit on that.

if the actual gear, syncro etc is bad you can fix it in the car, unless the the top plate with the shifter forks is bad. If just the shifter is bad leave the driveshaft on:D

Syncro/Gears?

Assclown: I am in the same predicamint with my current M5R2, 2nd and 3rd are grinding. I know it is not the shiter fork because my other M5R2 took its final crap that way with a hard shift into third. My question is, how can i replace the gears/syncros without taking the tranny out of the car? I'm down with that, i have had the shifter off before to fill the fluid and that is cake. I did see the assembly there but i dont see how i could get at all of that w/out taking the trans out. I can shift my car in nuetral and it feels ok so i dont think it is the shifter but who knows. I have read in the forums that 1st/2nd-3rd/4th-5th-rv gears are very expensive to get and we have to get them from Ford/Mazda unless i am missing something. I dont mean to step on Billabongs thread here but it is all for a good cause right??? haha Anyway thanks for any advice in advance.

you have to remove the trans to change 1st 2nd 3rd or 4rth , i know it sounds like a pain. The entire transmission has to be taken apart to get to the 2nd gear blocker ring(seperate output shaft assembley).

Ok. nuff said there, but what about the shifter forks? My spare has a cracked fork (gonna need one of them) and needs some more love (1st/2nd-3rd/4th-5th/rv) where can i get all of those parts at a better price than the 1200 to rebuild it? I dunno if i can do the work, but i am willing to try, and save myself some $$ on the parts. With the prices i have seen for the gears/syncros, am i better off with the 1200 rebuild?? If there is a better price for the parts if so im in for a DIU job. I understand syncros and gears are two seperate entities but, cash depending, i might as well do it all at once right?? Sorry for asking soo much but the m5r2 has been the biggest pain in the ars with owning my SC, and anybody's input is welcome.

You can get a complete rebuild kit from Southern Gear for about $330. Or you can take it apart and replace only what is bad with parts from Ford for less. Some of the assemblies and gears are no longer available from Ford, but they don't come in the rebuild kit anyway, nor do they come with a "rebuild" that you pay $1200 for. Those prices assume that all gears and hard parts can be reused. Expect to pay extra for any broken parts.

The rebuild requires a press and some special fixtures to hold things while pressing. It is not difficult unless you don't have the tools. Without the tools it would suck pretty bad.

FWIW, the transmission shifts beautifully when properly rebuilt. The transmission really isn't the piece of crap you might think it is at the moment.

Thank you very much, 1200 was the best rebuild i could get around here. I have a friend who pulled trans. for a couple years for a local shop and i know he has the tools that i may need. Im gonna hit southern gear's site now to get some $$'s/ Thanks for the response.

about 250-350 in parts(main bearings and syncros). I have the shifter fork plate and 1200 is kind of way too expensive. Maybe 600 at the upper end if you already removed the trans. Rebuilding one requires large sockets and presses and pullers to remove the bearings, kind of a hassle. The gears only wear if you've really ground between shifts, you can tell by looking at the teeth on the gear(not the brass blocker teeth), if they arent rounded over the gears are fine, and if the blocker rings touch the gear and there is none or little clearance you found the grinding problem(bad blocker rings).

yea my post is all over the place, i was distracted:p

Back