couple questions

HSKR

Okay, I took on the task of replaceing my extremely bad motor mounts on my new to me '94 5-speed. Started off with the drivers side, pulled the intercooler and tubing, then the powersteering pump(needed to replace powersteering ling as well). After removing the powersteering pump, I noticed some lines going into the place the oil filter screws on at. One of them was in my way, so thinking some sort of oil line, I pulled the top hose and antifreeze starts pouring out. Do these cars have some sort of oil cooler on them that the antifreeze is routed by the oil filter?? So finished up the dirvers side motor mount, man were those block bolts TIGHT!!! My hands prove it from the scars on the knuckles. Now on to the passenger side. Get it loose after breaking a 1/2" socket, and get it pulled out the back. Assember motor mount brackets with new mount, but no way physically that it will fit back in. So we pull the A/C and A/C idler pulley bracket. Much easier, it slid right in. Replaced water pump while I was in there as well. Still waiting on new spark plugs for re-assembly though. Anyways, that's my story for motor mount replacement. just was wondering about the coolant lines running through the oil filter area.

HSKR said:
Do these cars have some sort of oil cooler on them that the antifreeze is routed by the oil filter??
Yes they do.
So finished up the dirvers side motor mount, man were those block bolts TIGHT!!!
Usually, its the frame through bolt thats the socket buster.
Now on to the passenger side. Get it loose after breaking a 1/2" socket, and get it pulled out the back. Assember motor mount brackets with new mount, but no way physically that it will fit back in. So we pull the A/C and A/C idler pulley bracket.
Well there you go... its a 13mm bolt. Of course, I busted one of those myself. As far as getting the mount back in, its easier to take the 2 10mm bolts off the lower bracket, maneuver the pieces in, twist it around and reassemble. Just in case you ever have to do it again. ;) Then you can do it by simply moving the coolant bottle out of the way and removing the intake tube without having to remove any of the A/C.

I tried 13mm 6-sided sockets and almost rounded off a couple of the frame bolts on the drivers side. The 1/2" fit a lot better. The through bolts were actually the easiest ones to get off. might have been because I was able to get a better anlge on them though. This is a '94 and the coolant overflow is on drivers side behind battery. I really don't mind taking stuff off to make the job easier. This isn't my daily driver yet so I can take my time doing things which is why I changed the waterpump while I had it apart that far. Routing anti-freeze through the oil filter housing doesn't seem alike a very efficient way for cooling the oil, and also seems like it would be more of a strain on the already week cooling systems of these cars.

thanks

Just want to thank everyone who has replied. I love how quickly the replies come and how each one is very helpful and informative. I post on a few other forums, but this is one of the very few with this kind of support for each other.

Back