Clutch Pedal question

ChameleonBlue95

Hi, I have a 95 5 speed, and the clutch pedal has about 1 to 1 1/2 inches of no resistance free play before the clutch engages/disingages. Best way to describe is as if just hanging there, only under very slight spring pressure. Clutch functions fine otherwise, no slipping at all. Is this a sign of the clutch (pressure plate) going, or is possibly in the clutch master cyl. Thanks for the help.

Tony

ChameleonBlue95 said:
Hi, I have a 95 5 speed, and the clutch pedal has about 1 to 1 1/2 inches of no resistance free play before the clutch engages/disingages. Best way to describe is as if just hanging there, only under very slight spring pressure. Clutch functions fine otherwise, no slipping at all. Is this a sign of the clutch (pressure plate) going, or is possibly in the clutch master cyl. Thanks for the help.

Tony
Do you hear anything at idle? Clutch chattering? I've recently changed the clutch, I had very slight noice from the clutch, then one day making a turn I lost all clutch pressure. Turned out that the slave cylinder was leaking and finally quit. The throw out bearing was melted to the slave cylinder.....wasn't pretty.

You could try and bleed your clutch and check and make sure you are topped off with DOT 3 brake fluid. To be honest, depending on the mileage of your SC, you are probably due for a new clutch. Let us know what you find.

Calvin

I too have had the loose pedal feeling in both my xr7's. I drove the 89 for 3 1/2 years daily like that. I replaced the clutch after 2 years but I don't really know it's condition when I bought it. Never any noise issues. I sometimes catch myself resting my foot on the pedal though and thought what may have caused this. Prevoius owners being pedal riders and wearing out some kind of bushing in the pedal assembly? I never really thought to look for a cure thinking it wasn't that bad. Anybody else have this problem and know of a cure?

Joe

Fluid level is normal, and tried bleeding, but no differance....since clutch itself is working fine, guess will just live with it until time for a new clutch....Thanks

I have about 1/2" of play like this, and I believe the pilot bearing, throwout bearing, and slave cylinder are probably worn. It chatters when starting in first, makes noise when releasing the pedal (a slap), and randomly becomes hard to engauge/disengauge gears. I have seen no leaks.. plan on having it flushed out & refilled with DOT4.. and an eventual replacement.

If you suspect clutch wear, beware your syncros. Shift easily as a clutch that is not fully disengauging will put extra wear on them.

Back