Freaky Problem

AaronPierre

Ok, so THIS TIME, i'm driving down the road. I haven't driven my car for a good part of a week, and i haven't driven it hard in a while. It had been just sitting for the last week. So after warming it up on my way home, I decided to get on it at a stop light. So i Gun the SC!... I'm coming up to a stop light with cars stopped up ahead, so i begin to slow down.
Well the brakes seem to be fine, but the car is still going faster!, i slam on the brakes as i'm coming fast to the stopped cars when i realize that my RPMs are still shooting up to 6grand, i'm hammering on the break to come to a stop and my motor is roaring as i slow. I Throw the car into Nuetral but the RPMs go off the board 7grand+++ as i come to a stop (right in time) and quickly switch the car off! I restart the car and continue on my way exremely catiously.
I do have the raised gas peddle mod. Could the gas peddle just have stuck?
What happened? Anyone have any suggestions?
I am on an extremely tight budget and do not have the money to fix any major problems, should i just continue on my way and just take it extremely easy (i've been pretty easy on the car for the last few months, but i'm sure i can be even more cautious).

Anyone with ideas/suggestions or any comments at all, please respond.

-Aaron Pierre

Something between your foot and the throttle plate got hung up.
Thats all it could be, so go over everything there with a fine toothed comb and find the culprit before you get killed or kill somebody else. I personaly would not drive the car until that was fixed.
What gas pedal trick are you talking about? I've never heard of it.
I think I would look that over REAL GOOD!

Allow me to paraphrase... ;)

"My throttle got stuck and I almost crashed the car and destroyed the engine, why would that happen? ...Oh and BTW I have messed with the gas pedal."

(scratches head) Now I wonder what might have caused that to happen...

Actually, sarcasm aside, could your cruise control have been on at the time? My BOO (brake on/off) switch was broken and I only noticed it because the cruise control would fight the brakes instead of turning off. Needless to say I didn't use cruise until fixing that switch.

The first thing I would check is the throttle return spring on the throttle body. I would also not even consider driving the car until the problem was discovered and solved.

-Rod

I go with the simple one. The floor mat scooted up enough that the gas pedal got caught behind it when you had floored it for a moment and wouldn't release.

For me that's happened to me twice in other vehicles. My natural reaction is to then throw the car into neutral, touch the brake with my left foot, and try to lift the gas pedal with my right toe. Once it was the floor mat. The other time the throttle return spring.

one question

how did u get the car to rev to over 7000 rpms? i thought there were rev limiters at 5500 for autos and 6200 for 5spds... did u take it off? just curious
-damon

There might be rev limiters, but on quick sudden RPM jumps like they it can hit high RPMs before the rev limiter will fully kick in.

Why did you wait to come to a stop to shut it off?
You should have immediately turned it off, and then back to the run position. You would still have brakes, and you can still steer with a little muscle.

I had my fuel lines hold mine part way open one time.
It was just after working near the fuel lines.I had move
them and they hit the throttle arm on the throttle body.
I stop the car and fix the problem on the side of the road
in about 30 seconds.
And my SC reved to about 6500.And its a auto.Mine was
deleted with a chip.

randy

Thanks for the replys. I got some good advice and ideas from them and i appreciate it.
The gas pedal mod is a cheep trick to raise the pedal to the level that the brake sits at. It uses a rubber stopper on the end of the line that the pedal pulls up. It has been on the car for over a year without problem.

As far the "why did i do this" or "why didn't i do thats," it all happened fast, i did what i could in the seconds i had to react and i think i handled myself well enough. This is the first time this sorta thing has happened to me.

In the morning, I plan on going over the throttle body and springs, the gas pedal and carpet areas making sure thats all clear.
If i don't see any immediate problems i plan on going about my business, and hoping it was a fluke with the carpet.

I just wanted to be sure it wasn't something to do with a computer problem or something of that sort, and to get your all's ideas.

Thanks Again. Any more comments and ideas would be great.

7+

Watched my sc go over 7+, the floor mat got stuck. I shut it off ASAMFP.....no damage, but get a floor mat that doesnt slide!

Aaron

Re: 7+

Bigme574 said:
Watched my sc go over 7+, the floor mat got stuck. I shut it off ASAMFP.....no damage, but get a floor mat that doesnt slide!

Aaron

Is there such a thing? The little push through clippy on the stock ones doesn't hold for nothing. I'm going to sew a loop onto the back of mine and then attach it to the foot of the seat so that it's tied back. Mine pops off it's spot now way too often.

Back