clutch from advanced auto????

Blue89SC

i need a new clutch and i have not much more than factory horsepower....one of my friends works at advanced auto and can get me a clutch/pressure plate/ throwout bearing for 150$ the brand is perfection/zoom...should i get it???
thanks for any info
-anthony

I am not sure about that brand, but I have never heard anything bad about Luk clutches which you can pick up the complete clutch kit at Pep Boys for $200. Maybe someone else has experience with that brand.

I have one too...

I just bought the exact clutch that you are talking about. My friend and I are going to be installing it in a day or two. Only difference is that I paid $195.:rolleyes: If I am not mistaken, it says on the box that it is made by LUK, which is the reason that I decided to trust it.

Matt

And then again, maybe not...

I just combed my box over and couldn't find anything about LUK, so I think I was mistaken. Oh well, I think that as long as you don't ride the clutch, it will last a good long time...

Oh btw, while you have the exhaust, gas tank, driveshaft, and tranny out, make sure you look for parts that are going bad in there. I found all kinds of things that needed replacing, and I sure as hell don't want to have to drop all this stuff out of my car again for a long time...

Good luck,

Matt

Just kidding!

Just talked to my friend (BigMe574) and found that the clutch disc itself has LUK on it. Check yours to make sure but mine really says it.

Again, good luck

Matt

I would suggest replacing the clutch slave cylinder while you have the transmission down. You will be glad you did in the long run. PepBoys has them in stock for 105USD!

Anyone that plans to do a clutch in the future that has an earlier model 89-93 SC, order the clutch for a 94/95. Reason, around ½inch bigger clutch than the earlier version. I just replace my clutch (92) with LUK Repset Gold for a 94 SC. No problems at all!

Calvin

Last edited:
Yes I would also strongly recommend replacing the slave cylinder while you are in there. The person who had my car before me didn't do this when they had the clutch replaced, and my slave cylinder was leaking so bad that sometimes I couldn't get my car into first gear. It causes all kinds of problems, so just do it while you're in there.

Matt

Just a suggestion

you might want to check with local clutch shops...no joke, there is one here that has a heavy clutch(ceramic mixed carbon fiber, i think), heavy duty pressure plate, and stage 2 throw out bearing, new pilot bearing?, and a new slave cylinder for 344 USD...i think its a good price, but seeing on supercoupeperformance.com stage 3 clutch stuff was like 385...i dont know what the difference would be between the two...

Luk is a large mfg that supply's many aftermarket clutch co's with there parts. Zoom is one of them. Luk also made the factory clutch as well, they are still making the clutch's for Ford today.

Back