Engine Block

SCPilot

Hello all
Hey just got all my parts to the machine shop and got a nasty phone call. I ordered .30 over diamond pistons to match my h beam rods. The machine shop says my block was already punched .30 over and I will have too much clearance for my pistons. I have found a virgin 89 block. Will the front cover and everything else just bolt right up? What else do I have to worry about? Please help and fast!
Thanks
Tim

The front cover will bolt up fine. Just make sure that 89 is an SC block, they are stronger than the N/a block. "SC" should be stamped somewhere.

Higher compression, Floating vs. pressed rods, revised coolant passages in the heads, already has 36 # (or 34.5# per Fred) injectors. A few other things. You should know the differences Paul.

Jeff

This thread is about the bare block. But your correct, the 94-95 complete engine is better than the 89-93.

Last edited:
I am well aware of the differences in the SC engine as a whole, however the statement I inquired about was regarding the block itself, I should have been more specific. I am unaware of any changes in the SC block during its production and dont see a reason why the 89 block cant be used with all of the other parts he has already.

Paul

Last edited:
Well it was never stated the block itself was better. You can use the 89 block, no big deal.

Jeff

J57ltr said:
Higher compression, Floating vs. pressed rods, revised coolant passages in the heads, already has 36 # (or 34.5# per Fred) injectors. A few other things. You should know the differences Paul.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff.

Calvin

Back