throttle body

Sure, any throttle body can be bored but there is a limit to how far you can safely go. Whats the point? What are you trying to accomplish by doing that? What other mods have you done internaly to the engine?

Stock 89 auto

HEY Mike what up Fink I have a extra MAF But my engine is stock should i bore my Maf and put it on how should should i expect motor to run . OR should i just leave my stock one on. would i have to change sensors.

No you cant bore the MAF you can only go with a bigger one. Since you engine is stock I dont recomend doing it, but others will disagree. What are you trying to accomplish?

CASH.

I'am trying to sell it . I thought maybe someone with a bigger set up could use it. I like the way my SC runs. Is it a waste of time to put intake add ons on a stock longblock. Will any gains be made from performance add ons. I don't want to use chips or have to change timing. I want to Know if there are add ons i can put on a stock 3.8 sc motor that will make a serious difference.

LOL!! Yeah Ford was gracious enough to choke the piss out of the motor in stock form. Theres alot of room for improvement.
You dont have to chip the car until you cross a certain line with the mods. A few things on the intake side help alittle on a stocker but I wouldnt worry about those until you fix the exhaust problem. The exhaust from the back of the exhaust valve all the way to the tailpipe tips is where Ford in its infinite wisdom Choked the piss out of this motor. They murdered it!

Well I already have a the cats gutted still have stock resonator and tail pipes mufflers. what are some other things i can do. I read on super coupe performance that underdrive pulleys don't work. I also read that changing the rear end gears will make your car feel 500 lbs lighter is this true. I have stock 8.8 rear now what size are those gears and what size should i up grade to. well it make more torque or will i just be scorching my tires. I can already turn roach'em or it with no problem .

Rear end gearing depends on which tranny you have, and yes changing it properly will have that effect.
As for the exhaust.....well its just junk from one end to the other. Theres really nothing salvagable from the stock system in my opinion! However others will disagree.

Anyone need some stock exhaust Cats gutted ?

Yeah I will probably leave everything stock no reason to mess with success. I want to drive everyday. Not gonna be finding me at the track that is fer sure I did that work to my spare exhaust not really sure why now seems to me you have to have more cubic inches or stroke to make a difference that matters . Later I'm out .

Re: Anyone need some stock exhaust Cats gutted ?

stocker 89 said:
Yeah I will probably leave everything stock no reason to mess with success. I want to drive everyday. Not gonna be finding me at the track that is fer sure I did that work to my spare exhaust not really sure why now seems to me you have to have more cubic inches or stroke to make a difference that matters . Later I'm out .

Well............Thats an interesting twist to what I said!:confused: :eek:

exhaust... that's what I've been hearing over and over and I'm interested. Here's my situation..
1. I have to pass emission, will it?
2. Can I do it for at a reasonable cost?
3. Porting the stock manifold, or buying headers?
4. If I put headers on, which ones?
5. Sensors.. will they work or do I need a kit?
6. How much HP increase/cost, is it really worth it.
7. Is there a chance that I will be damaging the power plant with the wrong setup?
8. Will the car become devalued if make these modification let say in 10 years (1990 SC).

1. Depends on how strict your state is on that model. Some states will flunk you if the exhaust doesnt look exactly stock.
2. Yes if you have some skills such as weld and fit pipe and dont mine doing the work yourself.
3. I built my own headers but you can do whatever you like. Hell anythings better than the stock logs.
4.See #3
5. The sensors will be fine.
6. If done right tuned headers and properly sized exhaust will deliver more bang for the buck than anything else you do.
7. It would take a real idiot to outdo Ford on that one.
8. Value dropped on the car the minute it drove off the dealers lot so whats your point? About the only way to hold the value on any mass produced car is buy it new, have it trailered to the storage building you are going to have to keep it in until practicaly no other cars like it exist, then maybe it will be worth something.

I have deleted my cats and I'm the process of making my own resonator. As for the throttle body I found someone to bore it for the future to keep costs down. I also keep changing back and forth with my air box and a open element k+n filter the open element seems to take away some bottem end.

Well if you have the filter element inside the engine compartment you more than likely will lose some low end response. Get the filter element out of the engine compartment if you want to do some good.

resonator

I have working on an idea for an airbox of mr own for the open element with ram air up though the silencer hole. But right now I building a resonator out of 16 ga. I have been thinking about baffling a triangle at the outlet end to maybe help flow. Thanks for the info

No. The only time you bore a throttle body is because there is nothing else available. The measily amount you could bore the stock body out will not be noticed when you put the pedal down.
Its really not worth the effort. If it was I'd do it because I'm cheap and have access to any machinery I need so it would be free for me. But its not worth the effort so I will just buy the throttlebody I need.

Last edited:
MIKE 38sc said:
8. Value dropped on the car the minute it drove off the dealers lot so whats your point? About the only way to hold the value on any mass produced car is buy it new, have it trailered to the storage building you are going to have to keep it in until practicaly no other cars like it exist, then maybe it will be worth something.

Well Said Mike.. hehehe.. guess some of the people in the classified area should be reading this statement..

Seems there are people there wanting nearly 9000 bucks for a car that they jacked a stereo in .. and just completed some routine maintenance too... and then think the buyer should (you know pay for everything.. )

Hell if I was ever to get every penny out of a car I owned.. I would say I should have bought a

Mustang, GT500, Like you said.. brand new.. trailored to a storage shed.. an let it sit... ( anyone seen what these things go for lately.. ) I did see one on ebay once.. was quite a deal at 35,000 was almost completely restored... anyway.. I couldn't imagine the price tag on one that has been in storage since new... if there is even one in exsistance in that condition...

Damn.. Getting carried away.. better stop writing..

Again.. well said Mike.. :)

Last edited:
WHAT TO DO ???????????????

GO TO THE THEC SITE.................AND SEARCH FOR IDEAS..........I HAVE DONE A FEW OF THEM..........REMOVE BRIDGE FROM 70 MM MAF............DOUBLE INTERCOOLER WITH 8 IN FAN.........AIR BOX REMOVED...........FAST FREDDIE:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :cool: :cool: :D :D

Back