Spark Plug Time - Tricks Anyone

wwwtbirdforumcom

I have read a lot of info on doing spark plugs and wires - and most seem to do them from underneath - SO - I get the car up on ramps and look underneath the car and don't even see a spark plug - should I remove the wheel and inner fender splash shield to gain access? Thanks for giving me some advise...

The passenger side you can do from the top if you don't have large hands/arms. Just remove the airbox and tube to the TB. It's a tight squeaze, but it's possible. The drivers side, unless you remove the upper intercooler tube, all I gotta say is good luck. I woudl suggest removing upper intercooler tube and you can get them from the top.

I have changed plugs from both the top and bottom and will do it again soon when I get my iridite plugs. If you have access to a lift or a good set of ramps and stock manifolds, the easiest way to change plugs is from under the car. I have headers on both of my SCs and it is a little trickier but still easier from the bottom. One thing I have found on the passenger side is to unbolt the AC compressor and let it fall to the side. Then you can run your hand straight back and get the plugs pretty easily. The driver side will require the lower IC tube to be removed if you don't come up from the bottom. Hope this helps!

Ed Springer

90 Black XR7 5-speed: 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, Upgraded '94 Supercharger, 5% SC Pulley, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, Underdrive Pulleys, Headers, Magnaflow Muffler (no cats) with stock resoantors, 3:27 Gears, Ripper Shifter, 73 CL MAF, Magnacore Wires.

94 Red SC Auto: 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, Stock 90 SC Pulley, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, Underdrive Pulleys, Headers, Raven Muffler (no cats) with stock resoantors, 3:73 Gears, 73 CL MAF, Magnacore Wires, TRANSGO Shift Kit, Haydon Auxiliary Transmission Cooler.

If you get one that seems seized, check the others for antiseize compound. If someone put them in without antisieze and over torqued them they may be real hard to get out. Spray any that don't want to come out with some good penitrating oil and take some time. I rushed the job on a siezed plug and got a snapped plug to show for it.

Aaron

Back