spraying sc fluid

supercatxr7

I just recently installed a new snout seal on my supercharger this past week. I went to check the fluid today and got sprayed with fluid when I removed the fill bolt. It actually hit the hood. Seems like a lot of pressure was in there. What would cause this?

The seals between the bearing and the inside of the case are bad. As far as I can tell it's just an O-ring. Never tried to take it out. I'll post a pic on Monday.

Jeff

You only need to check the fluid every 6 months or even a year, its not like having to check the engine oil. The seal is not an o-ring and is not close to the bearings, it sits right under the pulley. So if the inside of the pulley is wet then the seal is leaking. The car has to be on level ground and the engine should be cold when you do check the SC fluid level. Good luck

I don’t think you are reading this correctly. The problem he is having is that even with the engine cold, the entire snout is pressurized. That means that air is leaking past the seals in the cartridge and into the snout since he has a new snout seal air can get into the snout area but not out. There are 2 seals, one on each rotor shaft. How do you think they keep oil from leaking past the bearings into the blower where the rotors are?

Jeff

How much boost are you running? It is normal for boost to pressurize the snout. The inner seals only hold just so much pressure.

not too much.......

16 lbs max..but it is spinning fast. Using 10% sc pulley and 10% ESM jackshaft pulley.

snout seal

Hi : I was wondering if it was the shaft seal that you replaced, that is the seal behind the nose pulley. If so, then where did you buy the seal from, as I need one for my SC and don't know where to get one. I am located in Canada so if you could supply me with name of campany and address and phone number it would greatly ba e appreciated. Thanks in advance. Bill

E-mail me at : poz@telusplanet.net

NAPA

Got mine at NAPA, can't remember part number. Do a search on hear for sc snout seal and you will find the info.
mark

Wow, I'd say your blower sucks or something but that would be a rude thing to say. Seriously, I get 15.5psi with ONLY a 5% pulley on my S-model. I know that doesn't help your situation, but 16 psi with 20% OD seems ridiculously low. What duration does that cam have? Mine is 210/220 with 114 sep.

Boost is not only affected by the pulley but also by the amount of back pressure.When you do exhaust and heads your boost levels go down,this is a good thing.Having 15lbs or more on a unmodified engine is a bad thing.

boost

It's a highly ported ESM blower with MP intake components. Free flowing exhaust, Stiegemeier heads, and big cam. It's breathing very well.

Can you tell if the boosted air is forcing the supercharger fluid out of the front casing and into the blower housing and onto the rotors.If this happens then you will be running low on fluid often.

Poz said:
Hi : I was wondering if it was the shaft seal that you replaced, that is the seal behind the nose pulley. If so, then where did you buy the seal from, as I need one for my SC and don't know where to get one. I am located in Canada so if you could supply me with name of campany and address and phone number it would greatly ba e appreciated. Thanks in advance. Bill

The snout seal is a Chicago Rawhide part. I just ordered one for my car. The stock seal is under $10usd, but I'm ordering the double lipped Viton seal which is just over $30USD with shipping. I ordered it through NAPA.

This thread has all the part numbers for you.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8604

Last edited:
The snout seal is not what he is referring to,it is the seal between the rotors and the rotor bearings.These seals keep the SC fluid from leaking into the housing.I have heard of others with this problem and they tried to vent the front nose section.I have not heard anything more about this problem.

Quote: "I get 15.5 psi with ONLY a 5% pulley on an s-model" Man I cant get more than 11-12 with a 10% pulley on my 89, does the S-model make that much difference? Mike

Back