PDA

View Full Version : How TO Remove Upper INTERCOOLER TUBE

wwwtbirdforumcom
08-04-2003, 08:23 AM
Removed the old supercharger assembly yesterday and I want to remove the upper IC tube so I can work on the spark plugs and wires... I removed the hold down Bracket and my question is - does the coupling twist and unscrew like the IC tube to SC did or what???

Thanks in advance.

pastera
08-04-2003, 09:08 AM
There is a stud from the upper IC tube to the drivers accessory bracket. If you pull the stud you can get the tube out easy. I think its an 8mm or so, just pull the nut off then pull the stud out.

It's much easier to pull the SC top than to mess with the coupling.

Aaron

wwwtbirdforumcom
08-04-2003, 09:21 AM
Sorry I may have explained this wrong - I already removed the supercharger and unscrewed the top intercooler tube from the super charger. I want to now remove the upper IC tube from where it is conneected to the intercooler. Sorry.

pastera
08-04-2003, 10:08 AM
Remove the two nuts on the intercooler studs and the IC tube should come off. Remember, there is a stud on the accessory bracket that you can't see, you have to feel under the tube for it.

The IC tube mates with the Intercooler with a cone fitting (like the lower IC tube to intake elbow fitting). If you have pulled the two nuts of the IC studs the only thing holding the tube on is the accessory bracket stud.

Aaron

Mike8675309
08-04-2003, 10:18 AM
Right there:
http://www.frontiernet.net/~miketoni/images/tbird/upperictubenut.jpg

wwwtbirdforumcom
08-04-2003, 10:42 AM
thanks so much for the picture - now I will be able to remove it with no trouble.

pastera
08-04-2003, 11:26 AM
I guess a picture is worth about two posts :D

Aaron

TBirdDriver
08-04-2003, 03:08 PM
If you go through the drivers side wheel well, there is just enough room between the frame to insert a socket on an extension to get at that nut, and then get at the stud to remove it also.
A lot easier than from above.

wwwtbirdforumcom
08-04-2003, 05:28 PM
how do you get that stud out - with vice-grips???

Mike8675309
08-04-2003, 05:38 PM
You don't. It is embedded in the bracket that it is attached to. You have to slide the intake tube off the stud.

If you want to delete the stud, cut it off with a cut off wheel.

TBirdDriver
08-05-2003, 08:31 AM
It is not embedded.
I used a smaller socket that fit on the end of the stud and took it right off. Once you initially release it, it comes out very easily by hand like the ones that hold the intercooler tube to the intercooler. I have done this both on my '89 and '90 with no problem getting it out, no need to cut it.

danekejt
08-05-2003, 12:00 PM
is there just one stud for that bracket or are there two. I have been trying to get that tube out but have had no luck. i got the nut off at the power steering pump and also have removed the one stud. ic tube doesnt bugde. once i get it loose will i be able to work that tube out with that bracket on?

Mike8675309
08-05-2003, 12:09 PM
I'm very confused by what you are talking about. Mostly because if you get down there and look at it, things are very self evident. If you have disconnected the tube at the IC, by removing the two bolts, and sliding the collar back. Then you removed the big nut off the top. Remove the nut at the stud, and rotate the top I/C tube to remove it.

For the bottom tube, you will need to slide the accessory bracket forward that the P/S pump is attached to to allow enough room for the tube to come out.

TBirdDriver
08-05-2003, 12:13 PM
This is for the upper IC tube.
Remove the nuts where the upper IC tube joins the intercooler. The studs can also be removed by first loosening, and then backing them out by hand.
Loosen the big nut where it joins the supercharger. (Block of wood with hammer, strap wrench, special Ford tool or whatever).
Loosen the nut on the alternator bracket. (I do it by going through the driver side wheel well, it's almost a straight shot at the nut). Loosen and remove the stud here as well.
That's all that holds this on. Sometimes the joints kind of seal themselves together depending on what you use to seal them with, (Copper gasket sealer, teflon gaskets from Ford etc.), and you have to "break" the seal by slightly tugging up and down on the IC tube.

danekejt
08-05-2003, 12:17 PM
o ok. i am talking about the lower tube. sorry about that. Here is what i have done on the lower tube to remove it

what i have done so far is i have both the collars seperated. i have removed the nut holding the ic tube to the bracket at the power steering pump. then about in the middle is another bracket that is either attached to the engine block or somewhere else. I have removed the stud that was there but i am unable to get the tube out of the car. seems it is attached somewhere else. feels like it is still attached in the middle. my question is, is there another stud in the middle that needs to be removed? sorry for the confusion.

thanks

TBirdDriver
08-05-2003, 12:26 PM
Yikes. I've never taken the lower one off and after reading this post,
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=27846&highlight=lower+tube

I'm a lucky man.

Good luck with your knuckles.

danekejt
08-05-2003, 12:29 PM
YUCK!!! thanks for the info.

pastera
08-05-2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by danekejt
o ok. i am talking about the lower tube. sorry about that. Here is what i have done on the lower tube to remove it

what i have done so far is i have both the collars seperated. i have removed the nut holding the ic tube to the bracket at the power steering pump. then about in the middle is another bracket that is either attached to the engine block or somewhere else. I have removed the stud that was there but i am unable to get the tube out of the car. seems it is attached somewhere else. feels like it is still attached in the middle. my question is, is there another stud in the middle that needs to be removed? sorry for the confusion.

thanks

The lower tube does have a very hard to get mount - I will try to look it up in the manual and scan the drawings tonight. I don't remember off hand exactly how to get the lower tube out.

Aaron

danekejt
08-05-2003, 01:59 PM
thank aaron appreciate it