Rear Defroster Elements.

thewood said:
Hi,
Only two of the elements on my rear defroster work. What's the best corse of action?

I think that either claim would be processed through the fraud department, or the fraud processed though the claim department. I can never get that right.:confused:

ford list price is $1144. If you want it bad buy it
it might be cheaper to go aftermarket.

Think.. is the def. a part of the glass or not (yes)
is it broken (yes).

Good luck trying to use that cheap $3 fix you find in the auto parts stores.
;)

Or you could replace the complete rear windshield. Just post in the wanted forum. If you're anywhere near St. Louis, I might have one for you.

-Rod

racecougar said:
Or you could replace the complete rear windshield. Just post in the wanted forum. If you're anywhere near St. Louis, I might have one for you.

-Rod

Last time I was even close to there I was coming back from Las Vegas after I seperated from the USAF. I'm in Connecticut now but the next time I'm cusing through St Louis I'll stop by.

You can repair the defroster lines if you don't have tint.
If you have tint then you must carefully remove it in order not to do more damage.

There are others but this was the first that came up on a search for "defroster repair"

http://www.frostfighter.com

For 19.95, I think its easier to fix rather than smash the window.

Aaron

The bottom three or four lines on mine are not working (since I bought her) and my plan was to follow the helms manual troubleshooting procedure to find out where it's broken and fix it with that defroster paint, I really don't know if that's what it's called. It seems pretty thorough and I don't have any tint. Is anyone out there saying that this really doesn't work? I would hate to waste a bunch of time. Anytime I have had a stationary window replaced in previous cars, it's always leaked! So, my approach is to stay as far away from a replacement as possible (unless I absolutely have to). Now all I have to do is to find the time.....

I've used that defroster paint before, and it worked great.
You just find where the break in one of the lines are, use masking tape on either side of the line so you get nice straight lines, paint a little of that copper stuff over the break to rejoin the lines, remove the masking tape and let it dry, and they work again.

If you don't have a meter then buy a cheap test light.

1. Hook up one side of the test light to one of the defroster wires where they hook up to the window.

2. Turn on the defroster. Test the light by touching the the hook up on the other side of the window.

3. Start testing the bad line on the side you just tested the light. move about two inches at a time towards the other side probing until the light does not light. You hav ejust found the break.

Most of the time you can see the break by looking carefully.

Aaron

Back