Sanden AC Compressor

Ronald Wendt

Anyone ever adapt one of these to their SC? Seems all the add on AC kits out there use them. Are they better in any ways? Work better on R134a?

I keep waiting for my original 91 to finally call it quits, this might be a way to go

Ron

I have been considering it for a winter project. I’ll probably work with Vintage Air (www.vintageair.com) or one of the other street rod companies to get the parts. It is a much smaller unit and looks like it could be easily adapted to the stock SC mounting bracket. This should allow more room to change plugs! I know Aeroquip and other hose suppliers could make custom hoses. I would also like to get away from the stock springlocks on the lines. I already have the shorter condenser all ready to be installed. Probably time this winter to take out the dash and replace the evaporator as well.

Sanden 508 unit: (there is a smaller 505 unit, a little shorter)

508_Comp_BW_ko.GIF

Space saver head:

CompSpaceSaverHeadPhoto.GIF

Clutch cover:

CompressClutchCover.GIF

Somehow I knew you would have thought of this already George being on the cutting edge and all!

One of my "problems" with this car I have only had for a year, is knowing what noises or actions or reactions are considered normal or not.

On my AC, I replaced the hoses and put a 134a kit in. It cools fine, but the compressor seems to short cycle. I checked and it has enough 134. And, you can really feel when the compressor kicks in and out more like a little 4 banger does.

So, is this "normal"?

Thanks

Ron

Well, Ron, thinking about future projects doesn't cost very much! I do it all the time! LOL

Your AC does not sound normal to me. I have updated my 89 to 134 and it doesn't do that short cycling thing. You may have a compressor on the way out. Which is what you have been hoping!

I'm not a real AC expert, so if I were you, I'd make a separate post on your AC issue and see if someone that knows a lot about AC might answer.

gldiii said:
Probably time this winter to take out the dash and replace the evaporator as well.
What some people will do for fun. ;) ;)

And Ron, short cycling could be a sign of an obstuction in the condenser or the Otube. You sortof need to know the following: outside air temperature (ambient temp), high pressure port reading, and low pressure port reading. The rule of thumb is the high pressure should be approx 2.2-2.5 times the ambient temp. If you find that to be the case, and the system is cooling as you say, then its doing what it supposed to do. If the outside air is below 90, you will probably see some cycling. Over 90, and it will probably run constantly. If you chargeed it up yourself with a kit and just the low port gauge, then its also possible that its overcharged. Is it the original compressor?

When I did the conversion, I used the formula in the kit looking at outside air etc to see how much pressure I should see from the low pressure port to know when I filled it enough. I did not look at the high pressure side. I think I have the fittings so I will try and check it out soon

Up here on the north coast, this summer has not seen hardly any 90 or above days. Lots of rain and humidity though!

thanks

Ron

Back