3.8 vs. 3.8

KilswitchEngage

I'm the new SC owner. Is there a difference between the non-supercharged 3.8l and the 3.8l found in our beloved SC's... Besides the supercharger?

Hey Duffy,

Can we put a link to that in the FAQS section? I did a look through there before posting and didn't find anything for this question.

Lee

Anybody know if I can take the exhaust manifold off my junker 90 3.8L Thunderbird and have it ported for use on my 90SC?

BTW the old Tbird still runs and is road worthy.. but I just don't have time to fix all the minor problems with it. It's got 178+ miles on it. I just took it off the road. I drove it back and forth to work every weekday for the past 4 years. Best $2000.00 I ever spent. I'm letting her go to someone that would like to take on the project.
A/C doesn't work.
Drivers side door, can't keep any window working right in it. 3rd one. May need and intire new door.
Windshield is cracked right in my line of sight.
AOD has a small amount of gear lash.
Small drip from the front seal.
May need upper and lower ball joints.
Body needs works and paint.
Speedo works when it wants to.
Radio won't power off, have to turn the volume off.
Boot has a leak which causes the brake light not to come on a low peddle pressure. I could never find the leak.
Has new brake pads, shocks, struts, extra set of 15' winter tires and rims, Always changed the oil in her around 5000 miles and kept up with most of the maintenance.

parting her out or come and get her for $500.00

Camshaft ?

Hey Duffy just checked out the link. What are the differences between the camshafts? The atx and mtx. My chilton doesn't mention anything about this. Are the journals,elevation,clerance,and end play the same for both. I took the one out of an automatic and there was no paint on it at all. Are they from different castings like the crank? Is one stronger than the other.

The durations of the intake and exhaust lobes is different, the overlap is different and the lift is different.

Part #'s

Can you use either one in a 5-speeed or auto? The part numbers are the same for the short block and the longblock for that matter and they both carry the R code. This article is the first time I have even heard or read this. I can't find a manuel that says they are different. So What Is UP. Were the R code and infamous and mysterious C code cams the same. I'am Confused if there is a difference wouldn't the Code or Part numbers be more specific.

Duffy I sent you a PM. OK the grind is different (no biggie this means they were made different). So they are interchangable. Right. Correct me if I'am wrong. You could use one out of a 5-speed for an auto and vice versa.

Cam specs from Fred

89 Manual

Intake .448", 194° @ .050", ICL 106°
Exhaust .457", 202° @ .050", LDA 110°
_______

89 Auto, 90 thru 93 All

Intake .445", 192° @ .050", ICL 108°
Exhaust .457", 198° @ .050", LDA 113.5°
________

94 thru 95 All

Intake .427", 214° @ .050", ICL 113°
Exhaust .443", 180° @ .050", LDA 105.5°

Dan,

Yes you could use either although the 89 manual is slightly better from a performance stand point. Not that you would likely be able to tell the difference.

Back