Radiator plug!!

NorthrnSCownr

The new radiator I have(which works great)came with a plug with a useless drain hole. I have to completly unscrew it for any amount of fluid to come out thus leaving a four foot area/me/the suspension covered in anti freeze. Not my idea of fun. (no laughing!) :rolleyes:
At any rate I wanted to use a hose to plug into the hole of the radiator and put the plug in the end of the hose. But with the pressure etc. I don't see how to do this. I am looking for any suggestions on how to resolve this issue.
I assume I could also get another plug the same size with a better drain whole, but i dont know where to go to find one, nor do I really have the time as the bird is on ramps in the driveway until I remedy this situation, or give up and fill her back up the way she is.
Thanks,
Tom

I don't know about hose but did you take off radiator cap when you tried to open the pitcock. Coolant system is sealed and won't drain unless air can get in.

I understand about that. If its any help, what I do is hold the wide end of a plastic funnel up to catch the stream of coolant coming out, and direct the outlet to a pan. That keeps it from dribbling all over the frame and making a mess. As far as the petcock, you might just go see what a radiator shop has. There is supposed to be a small hole in the side of the thread that lets coolant out and through the middle of the petcock, so that you don't have to completely remove it. I would think a petcock from any Ford radiator from 89-today would work and just screw right in, so check out the junk yards.

Well the stock plastic POS radiator cock is smaller than the one I bought. I got mine from the local parts store Double Discount (awesome prices). Its an Indian made radiator. Everything lined up, and it works like a champ, just has a lame petcock. There is that small hole in the side but it just kinda spray/drizzles out. It would take an hour to drain it that way. PITA i'll tell you. Thanks for the reply... in limbo,
Tom

the plug

My new radiator had a p.o.s. plug too. I replaced it with a brass bolt. When I drain the thing I just unscrew it and I have a piece of rubber hose that fits in perfectly. I ususally dont lose much of any fluid at all.

I too have looked around for a decent drain plug without success.

Bob

the bolt

Yes, that is exactly what I do. Then you're safe to open the vent and or the radiator cap and the whole thin is drained in no time.

When you take the bolt out, cover the hole with a finger then get the tube ready and be quick about the exchange. I seemed to have drained my coolant about 4 times in the last couple months and I have down now.

cheers

Drain Plug

I flushed the system in my 89 2 years ago. When I took the drain plug out, (plastic POS) the plug stripped out. I when to the local sears hardware and also got a brass bolt with the same threads. Worked like a charm and never leaked to this day. Thought it was funny that someone else had the same idea. My buddy did the same thing a bought a new plug.

Back