B&M shifter play? Please help!

94-5speed16

hey guys,
I put my B&M shifter in over 4 months ago. The first day or two it felt a whole lot different. But now the shifter has got play in it, either in gear or in neutral. Now I bought this shifter used, and it came with nothing except the shifter itself. That may be all that's included for all i know. It seems like the play in the shifter is causing me to have sloppy shifts in pretty much just 1st and 2nd unless i hit just the right spot, the it feels just fine. I'm going to take it all back apart tommarow and see if i possibly did something wrong or didn't tighten it down enough. When i put it in, i pretty much just pulled the old shifter out, put the little ball joint in the tranny and bolted her down. I didn't put any pins or anything like that in the shifter. Did I miss something? What's the deal with adjusting this shifters, could that be it? I would really like to know asap, as i'm trying to sell the car. It seems like it shifts great as long as i hit the right spot. If you have any info let me know. Dsmyth8604@aol.com

thanks
dan

The shifter uses the old part from the stock shifter, the handle which you screw the knob too, I would say those two bolts got loose, and you probably should put some locktite in it, becuase I just put my shifter in two days ago, and I had play, I was like what the hell and then I relized the handle extenstion was getting loose... they should definalty have a little locktite on it so the bolts wont get loose.

hey thanks man. Probably the same thing that happened to you, since the first day or two it was in it felt great. Then after a couple days it felt like the old shifter again and i was pissed. I thought the handle was part of the shifter because i bought it used and it was all together so i just bolted it in and put a hurst T handle on. Thanks for all your help

dan

On my 95, my stock shifter has had play for about 6 months which I figured was the shifter bushings going bad after searching this forum as to what was going on. But, after I took it apart it was just the two bolts were loose.

yeah, man that's what i was doin. Then billabong let me know, he was right. Took two screws out, pulled out the center panel and tightened the two bolts and it surely did the trick. Shifter feels a hell of a lot better. Same thing about my clutch. I'v been trying to figure out what was wrong with my clutch and thought it was hanging up for the longest time, just to find out that it was just the clutch pedal being worn out. Thanks for all your help

dan

glad I could help man ;) The B&M shifter is great in my opinion, I would recommend you put locktite on the bolts so they dont get loose. ;)

Back