Cooling fan quit on me

derekhay316

I just had to replace my harmonic balancer and I took out the radiator and cooling fan to get at it. Now I got it all back in and the damn cooling fan does not turn on when its supposed to. I can manually turn it on by pulling out the coolant sensor and I did replace the thermostat so It couldn't be that. Any ideas? Also my temperature gauge inside the car isn't working now either. Any idea why? Thanks a lot for the help.

Did you get all of the air out of the system? air pockets could cause the ECT sensor to read wrong.

The gauge sending unit is on the thermostat housing so did you remember to hook it up?

Aaron

Its all hooked up and no air bubbles in the system. I think if there was air bubbles in the system it would read really hot, not cold. I don't really care about the fan right now I'd just like to get the gauge working at the moment. Any ideas?

derekhay316 said:
Its all hooked up and no air bubbles in the system. I think if there was air bubbles in the system it would read really hot, not cold. I don't really care about the fan right now I'd just like to get the gauge working at the moment. Any ideas?
Actually, if there were air bubbles, and one just happened to be sitting where the sending unit was, it woudl read cold all the time since it's not getting any fluid on it for a reading.

I think I installed either a 180 or 190 thermostat and we checked to see if it worked before we installed it so I really don't think it would be that. About the air bubbles I had the car off the road all winter and when I first started it up the temp gauge was reading hot (all the way to the right) after about 5 mins of the car running. I left it for a couple days and it was normal and now its been sitting on the cold marker for about the whole summer. So what do u guys think? Does it sound like a gauge problem or an air bubble problem? How would I fix either one? Thanks.

Sounds like your temp sending unit went bad. Which one I couldn't tell you. Looking at my '94, I saw at least 3 different temp sending units on the coolant lines.

Back