Data Logging Software

Black94SC5spd

I'm wondering if anyone has developed Data Logging Software for our cars for use with either Laptops or with Palm Pilots. If not I would be highly motivated to work or help on such a project.

Thanks Everyone,

Nick

R.A.C.E. Systems has a data logger for the EEC-VI computer that currently is sold for Mustangs. One could be made to work with the T-bird EEC-VI computer, they just would need the pin-out of the unit. And you would need to be willing to pay the money. Looks like it runs just under $500.00

This data logger is different than some others out there that work. It logs data before it is processed by the engine computer. So you log the same data the engine computer sees in real time. Others read the memory locations after the data is stored in the engine computer.

http://www.racesystems.com/

I was feeling highly motivated at one time and did some research. You can get multichannel ADC chips for dirt cheap (like $5 or free if you only need a couple samples). With a few other support chips you can add a PC serial port interface, and be able to sample 8 or 12 channels at 16-bit resolution and high sample rates (100+ kHz). I got everything I needed as free samples from Dallas Semiconductor/Maxim. But I still haven't taken the time to plan out a schematic or put it all together. One challenge will be keeping the input impedance high enough not to interfere with the EEC.

But I'm probably wasting my time, it would be a lot easier to buy a serial or USB multichannel ADC for a couple hundred and work with that.

AND, hooking into the wiring harness is a big pain, because the 60-pin EEC connectors aren't available commercially. Or at least I haven't been able to track them down.

When I think about it, RACE systems $500 thing isn't such a bad deal...

I didn't talk to the guy, but I read his forum. I think it's a good system to start with as he was planning on releasing an Active-X .DLL wrapper around all of the data aquisition code that could then be called from your development tool of choice.

My dreams are still bigger than my bank balance, but if i ever get to the point I get to start working on my interior, I'll be getting more involved with him. I want to have a touch screen interface, and/or do something with voice recognition to have access to various engine readings and systems.

data logging

The new EEC tuners have data logging but I don't think the data logging works with the pre-94 computers.

On my software it's called AL9 dattalogging. Whatever that means.

Check with the EEC tuner guys and see if they know more about it. I think the best way to contact them is through mn12performance.com

I am in the middle of designing a tuner that uses IRDA (infrared) communication along with standard RS-232 in order to support use with Palm pilots.

Datalogging is far off at this time and would have to be built up for each EEC type. If you rewrite the software in the EEC, you can get raw sensor data out but EACH software version would need to be addressed separately.

Aaron

I have used this EASE software for several years:

http://www.easesim.com/

It hooks to the diagnostic port and does code scanning and data logging on EEC-IV computers that support data logging. I believe those are the 92-up computers. I put a 93 computer in my 89 SC (lot of work!) to have data logging capabilities. Even put an auxillary diagnostic port in the car for easy hookup.

It allows you to monitor many sensors and other data from the PCM. It is around $300 with the proper adapter cables. You'll need a PC or laptop to run it.

Yep.. Those devices that hook to the diagnostic port are different than the one that RACE built. The RACE system fits between the ECM and the harness and aquires the data in parallel with the ECM. Thus it is logging the data in real time before the ECM processes it.

Why you might want this is dubious. Basically you then could use a diagnostic port tool to compare the values with the values coming into the the ECM to validate the ECM is working. But that's a lot of money to just validate the ECM is working. Also the
SnEEC can't change any ECM parameters so it doesn't work as a tuner.

I just wanted to point out that it is a different type of device than those that typically jack into the diagnostic port.

The reason the RACE systems tool hooks into the wiring harness instead of the EEC service port is so that it can provide high speed sampling of multiple signals at once. This can be helpful when you want to catch glitches or problems that happen very fast (like tip-in hesitation).

The downside to using the service port and reading the values from the EEC is that the DCL powertrain data is not updated at a very high rate. And it's a serial interface so the sampling rate is proportional to the number of signals you want to watch at once. On the plus side, you can watch things like the fuel trim, engine load, etc... things you can't get from the RACE systems tool.

A few years back I tried and tried to get a spec for the DCL protocol but no luck. It would be far easier to make your own interface for that, because you wouldn't need the wiring harness stuff or a multichannel ADC.

Mike8675309 said:
R.A.C.E. Systems has a data logger for the EEC-VI computer that currently is sold for Mustangs. One could be made to work with the T-bird EEC-VI computer, they just would need the pin-out of the unit. And you would need to be willing to pay the money. Looks like it runs just under $500.00

This data logger is different than some others out there that work. It logs data before it is processed by the engine computer. So you log the same data the engine computer sees in real time. Others read the memory locations after the data is stored in the engine computer.

http://www.racesystems.com/

I Got one from them and it works GREAT!!

What prompted you to purchase it, and then what benefit do you feel you've received from having it?

Just curious how it applied in your situation.

Mike8675309 said:
What prompted you to purchase it, and then what benefit do you feel you've received from having it?

Just curious how it applied in your situation.
Within 5 min of hooking it up I found my left oxygen sensor was going flakey at idel it would go full rich then full lean ect the car ran a little rough and died peroticilly but never threw a code.
During a run I data log and can replay and watch shift points Injector Duty Cycle TPS position RPM MPH and much more I have a wideband hooked to one of the AUX inputs so if something went wrong I can shut the car down before I burn a piston I have a Micro PC in the trunk that also doubles as a sat radio ,DVD and mp3 player
AND LETS NOT FORGET THE COOLNESS FACTOR!! (Touch Screen is on the dash)

Data Loggin

Ran into a fella today while we where dynoing my cousins 331 mustang. He was talking to me about the data logger for the EECIV. He said that they had a wideband 02 and several other hookups for oil pressure etc... for around $550..... Let me know I could talk to him about a group thing maybe...

It would depend on what kind of data logger it is. The RACE system hooks into the wiring harness of the car before the signals get to the EEC-IV. This allows the system to aquire data at a much greater resolution than if it was simply logging data the EEC-IV captured. It also makes the system much more complex.

Other data loggers I've seen out there simply read the data out of the EEC-IV's memory. Helpful, but not as helpful as what the RACE system can do.

from what I understood you hook it to your sensors. So I would say that it is reading before the EECIV. Also does the Race system come with a Wideband O2???

Mike8675309 said:
It would depend on what kind of data logger it is. The RACE system hooks into the wiring harness of the car before the signals get to the EEC-IV. This allows the system to aquire data at a much greater resolution than if it was simply logging data the EEC-IV captured. It also makes the system much more complex.

Other data loggers I've seen out there simply read the data out of the EEC-IV's memory. Helpful, but not as helpful as what the RACE system can do.

ScrapSC said:
from what I understood you hook it to your sensors. So I would say that it is reading before the EECIV. Also does the Race system come with a Wideband O2???
The race systems unis has inputs for a wideband o2 you still must purchase the wideband sensor and control unit. The race systems has a large plug that connects to your EEC unit then the car main eec wireing harness connects to the race systems adaptor box you will need the pinout for your specific year car (can be found in the EVTM manual) and race systems will customise ther unit to your application. the wideband i use can be found here http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/

Last edited:
Back