Finished The Gosh Darm Plugs And Wires

wwwtbirdforumcom

Alright - I need a medal for finishing this job - I certainly deserve it. I never saw something so difficult and messed up as this job. most of the boots were frozen on and i had to cut 3 of them off - it took me 45 minutes to get the drivers side front boot off - every minute was painfull - I have large hands and arms - this job totally sucked for me - I have cuts on cuts and lumps and bruises. My hats off to those of you that can do this on a 1990 quickly - I must have spent about 8 hours on this job.

Thanks for the tips you guys gave me - If I had a lift the job would have gone a but faster.

My other son has a 95 SC 5 speed - it looks like there is more clearance to do plugs on the 95 than the 90 - thanks again.

sincerely
birdman.

LOL!
The more you do it, the faster it goes! I'm sure you want to hear that right? LOL! I hope your sons were watching so next time they can do it!!!

Anyhow, good job, now you can drive it to FFW....Riiight!

Are you attending?

Skip

yes we are thinking of going - all I have left to do is a flush and fill - new upper and lower hoses - a few vac lines and install an whole new supercharger unit and all new belts - whew!!!!!!

sincerely
paul

Hmmm,

Let's see what I have left to do...

Strip and paint brackets/ remount A/C and alternator brackets.
wait for new SC, SC top, Inlet plenum, and TB to come in.
still waiting for MAF to come in.
IC is still on it's way.

Put the engine back together, get everything mounted.
Get the tranny rebuilt and reinstalled.
Drop the engine in, put the headers on, weld my exhaust.
Reconnect my new driveshaft.
Put the new fuel pump in.....
Get the tuner file and hopefully she's running!

I know a guy in Cumberland who's good at spark plugs! Maybe he'll come do them for me!!! LOL!

Thats the REAL short version! LOL! I am praying I can get it done. everything I am buying is on 1st or 2nd day shipping so I can have it by the end of the week.
Either way I will be at the track.....I'll drag my truck if I have too!

Skip

Bapbtism by fire, welcome to the wonderfull world of SC mechanicing! Took me 8 hrs the first time also, as I sat in the middle of the floor looking at my cut,bleeding and bruised hands and arms(I like you have large digits) I thanked God I didnt personaly know the engineer responsable for that nightmare because I would be in the pen right now serving life.
I decided at that moment I was ditching those intercooler pipes and fabing up some new ones with different routing so at least one side would be much easier to change.
Congradulations!

Took me a wekend the first time to change out the plugs and wires. I learned how to remove the IC tubes which is a must know for any SC mechanic. The second time, I just went for the plugs from underneath. Finished in under an hour ;)

Yeah thats for sure. I went underneath after that first run, it is easier from underneath but its still hell for anybody with larger hands and arms. I can only help the situation SOME by moving some things, but every little bit helps and I'll also have a front mounted IC as well. :D

Took an hour and a half my first time. Average hands, long fingers, 3 extensions, and 2 swivels. I unpluged/unbolted anything in the way also. Be thankful you don't own a wrx imprezza. My friend had his done by a professional and it took that guy 5 hours, and there are only four cyllinders. The nerve of some cars.

Lets get a possie together and find the plug engineer!
Mine took all weekend for plugs/wires. All I could do is stare at it for long periods wondering: What the #$%!$ son of a $%!%%$ How the %@^%%!!!
But when finished it was all worth it.

Back