Paint or not to Paint

SCPilot

Ok I am very close to having my short block back from the machine shop. Should I paint the block and Heads? Or will this just keep in the heat?
Thanks,
Tim

I painted mine cherry red to go with the pearl and red theme of my car. Block painted, heads finished in clear for new aluminum look, intake painted, thinking of painting blower too. I really couldn't see high temp paint holding in heat. If it does, put in a lower temp stat.

YES!!!! Paint that block! For Gods sake give it some personality.
I used Ford blue, but use what you like.
Dont hide those pretty alluminum heads with paint. Oooooooo!

Yes it does! I threw all my alluminum parts in my buddy's tranny parts washer with a good dose of alluminum cleaner and WALA! Nice clean fresh from the factory looking parts. That stuff is GREAT!

LOL!!! Yeah I had a nice set of those as well before I got a hold of them. You gotta love that baked on oil and dirt mixture......kind of hybrid asphalt concrete mixture!

Peal95 sc, HOW DO YOU PLAN TO KEEP THE POLISHED HEADS SHINY???I'M SURE THEY'LL OXIDIZE EVENTUALLY.

Well I sanded them down smooth,and did a littlr polishing on them they are not a high luster
polish,but are shiny.

My thought is that they will clean up very easy,by not having porses for dirt to cling
to.You will not be able to see most if any of the heads any way, with all the trash
on a SC motor.I only spent about 3 hours on them so they do not have a chrome
finish on them.Just in a few inchs are high polished.

You mean the life isn't perfect,I thought they would stay shiny.

Randy

Last edited:
Well, you're right about all that trash on them, the only people who will notice will be the people lookin at your engine when the car in on a lift. Polished peices do look good though.

Part of the reason why it's soo hard to see anything is a lack of light. Add some 12v rope light under there and backlight stuff. Or there are some LED lights around that could go under there. Light it all up when the hood opens off the switch for the under hood light. Bling bling.

Back