85MM TB to big

daivd z

im planning on getting the MP 85MM TB. Is it to big for a mostly stock motor? i have exhaust and am wanting to make my own 3.5 inch intake and add a 5% pulley. i am wanting to use a C&L 76MM MAF. does anyone see any problems with this setup?

not claiming to be an expert on the subject, but I have done a great deal of asking around as my motor has been going through a total rebuild. I've been told that even with all the mods and upgraded internals that I'll have in mine that I won't need more than a 75mm. Unless you are planning on doing major engine mods, it's probably not worth the extra $$ to go to the 85mm TB.
Money better spent on getting underdrives, or the Harris aluminum jackshaft pulley.

Paul

drinking soda through a coffee straw sucks, but a soda straw is just right for suction and amount. But drinking through a 2" tube now thats just to much. maybe Im wrong but that was an analogy that made sense to me when I was told it.

why not?

I have an 86mm Mustang TB on mine and I don't think my drivability suffers due to the size. If you bought the big one and never modded out the engine enough to use it, no big deal. But if you eventually end up with an engine that could benifit from the extra few MMs then your better off.
As far as not needing that big of a TB, the 75mm will flow more than our engines will ever use, yes. But an 85mm will flow as much as our engines use with just a little bit less flow resisitance than the 75mm. The difference show up on dyno tests. Bigger is better.

True, bigger is better. However, if you attach an 85mm TB to a 65mm inlet, you are not only wasting your time, but you are creating turbulence that most definately will affect airflow in a negative way. Anything bigger than 70MM on the stock inlet is a waste of time. After you have enough motor to support a ported blower, then you can upgrade to the MP inlet. Once you have the inlet, then a 75MM tb will do all you ever need.

FWIW, a 3" inlet tube is plenty for up to 350rwhp.

and before you get a MP inlet you need a motor that can keep up with it or it won't help you. (much)

You'll definitely need the MP plenum, too. That TB is a waste otherwise. I have the whole MP setup (& custom exhaust & 5% pulley) on my '95, even though the engine is stock. Probably overkill, but I wanted to ensure I had sufficient airflow should I decide later on to modify the heads. Rather have too much than too little.

how does the C&L 76MM MAF work. does it come with new electronics and is it calibrated to work with my stock injectors in a 95? i was going to order it from SCP is there a better or cheeper place to get it?

It uses your factory electronics, it just has a sampling tube that's calibrated for your injectors. Make sure you tell Bill at SCP that your car is a '95 so you'll get the correct tube. I ordered most of my stuff from him. He'll treat you right. Make sure when you install it you disconnect your battery while installing it. That way your computer can re-learn it's settings for your new MAFS.
I looked at your car today on CarDomain.com. Looks real nice. I also see you're from Plainfield. I'm an old Hoosier myself, originally from Noblesville. Now I'm in the navy stationed in Va.

hey

hey mcate, looking at your mods and i plan on doing the exact same thing to my 95 auto, except with a 75TB, just wanted to ask if you are pleased with those mods? was it a nice increase in power over stock? always seemed like the best way to go for me. i also planned to upgrade to a 190 fuel pump, do u still have the stock one? any problems you've run into? thanks for any info.
Damon

I'm real happy with what I did. I wanted looks to go along with performance, which is why I went the route that I did. I probably noticed a little bit bigger jump in power when I did the exhaust than from the intake mods. The factory exhaust is really crap. I just put a shift kit in the tranny, which helped too. I'm planning on 42lb injectors & a new fuel pump, probably over the winter. Only encountered 2 problems: 1 was that the stock throttle position sensor wouldn't fit in the 85mm TB. Had to get a different one, & got the part # from Bill Evanoff at SCP. The other problem is that I can't get max A/C. When I put the A/C on max I just stays on reg A/C & ittermittantly switches over to defrost. Still working on that one. Probably vacuum related. Both my '95's are on the members page of this site under Mike Cate.
Mike

What is the part number of the throttle position sensor and why don't the stock sensors work? I have a stock 90 sensor on my MP85mm but get a check engine light after 10 minutes or so. I am thinking my Sensor is out of range for the voltage and needs to be adjusted.

Maybe I just need the Sensor you have?

Every MP 85MM TB I've seen has had the problem with TPS adjustment. Easiest way to fix is to drill out the holes in the TPS and slot them a tad, then adjust all the way up to get .95V. Usually they seem to sit at about .5V out of the box.

XR7 Dave

Thanks for the reply.

I understand how to slot the bolt hole but wonder how to probe the sensor? Can I adjust it off the car? What pin do I probe? I remember reading a post (Tbird88 ?) detailing the process but have not been able to find it. Since I am taking my top end apart to correct my lifter preload problem. (ticking lifters) and would like to address this issue at the same time.

Thanks again

Key on, engine off, throttle closed, probe the green wire. Should read .92-.97V. You can do it with the TB off, but it has to be plugged in meaning that you ain't goin far with it. :)

Back