Stock Shifter / Tran question

Billabong089

When I took my stock shifter out a couple of days ago, there was like nothing inside of it, it was the metal frame and another metal piece with the ball that goes in the tranny, no inside parts? so my question is what happened to all that? are they somewhere in my tranny lol ?

Also, I thought the new shifter owuld fix the problem with no reverse or 5th but it didnt.. so what could it be now? Its wierd, becuase teh shifter will shift into reverse, but it will just grind and like pop out... but if I put it in reverse and get off the clutch so gradually that it takes like a minute, it will move a little in reverse and just grind and pop out again... and 5th cant get shifted into at all... its like its not even there...? New tranny time?

Last edited:
Well not sure if I would be laughing if I found what you did.....it means all the internal parts ARE most likely down inside your tranny. There are two plastic sockets, two spring washers and two metal clips now floating around inside the tranny case.

I would say you are definately looking at a rebuild on the 5 speed for sure.

anyone else...? new tranny or not? I'm leaning towards buying one but if its something simple in the old i'll try it.

Yeah I think your gonna have to bite the bullet on this one, either have it rebuilt or get another one.

if you pull the tranny and pull the top cover you will probably find a shear pin sheared off i think it fell out on mine on the shifter linkage inside about a 50 cent part easy fix

Last edited:
Mine used to grind going into reverse and pop out if I didn't hold it in. I also put in a ripper but it didn't help. I had it rebuilt a few months ago and now it goes into all gears, no grinding, and shifts smoothly. The ripper is a nice upgrade over the stock shifter though.

Go into 3rd before reverse it should synchronize the gears so it won't grind. That way you don't look stupid when you are backing up and a lot of people are around.

If you have it rebuilt DO NOT get the brass synchro's. I did and so have a lot of other 5-speed guys. They will grind if you shift too fast. You will be fine with the stock style fiber synchro's (blocking rings). When you get it rebuilt it'd be a good time to upgrade your clutch and replace your master and slave cylinders, throw out and pilot bearings. I did a FULL drivetrain rebuild this year. It was pricey but most of it was labor. I bought all the parts myself.

Back