SC vs Z-28

sean05

Hey guys,
My friend is a chevy lover and hates anything else. I told him that a SC would beat a z-28. Am i right or wrong? I dont have a problem with chevy but i just like ford better. The chevys look all tacky. Give me some numbers i can throw at him

Thanks

Sean

What year z28? If its newer style, 93-03, more than likely, he'll beat you, unless you got some goodies under your hood. If its 92-below, you should destroy him, unless he's got some goodies done. When I was cruising my buddies 15.8 sec 1/4 mile Neon, I ate an older z28 by about 3 lengths, at which point i was doing almost 80 (speed limit 30) so I slowed down. The car is only as good as the driver, i've seen slow cars go fast, and vice versa because of the driver. All depends.

it depends what year z28 you are talking about. 98 and newer LS1 powered z28s run mid to low 13s with a good driver behind the whee. 93-97 LT1 Z28s are low 14s to mid 13s(from what I've seen) and 92 and older Z28s are MUCH slower. Tbird SCs run mid 15s to high 14s. That ends that argument.

i beat one from 0-50 or so and he let off seeing that he couldnt pull on a thunderbird. it was an LT1 auto

I'd have to agree. Given, anything can happen on the street, but unless he spun really bad off the line, or his car really needs a tune up there's a very small chance you beat him.

Internet numbers don't mean junk really. It is very possible that an auto LT1 would get killed 0-50 by a properly driven SC. In fact it so happens that I have seen plenty of LS1's run 14.0's bone stock. What do you guys think, that everyone who owns one is automatically a good driver?

Also FWIW, most LS1's do not run low 13's. Most run high 13's. Can a damn near stock LS1 run low 12's? Yes it can. Doesn't mean it will.

Keep in mind that of all the LS1's that have actually RUN at a track means that the owners at least TRIED to make the car run quick. How many out there NEVER make it to the track and hence their owners have no idea how to make the car quick or win a race?

How many Vipers have run 13's...?

Bottom line is that just because the car "should" be faster doesn't mean it is. :)

I mostly agree with everything you said Dave. Anything is possible on the street. There are too many factors to take into consideration: how good of condition the car was in(more than likely needed a tune up) or driver ability. If the guy didn't know how to launch his Z and the sc driver has a 5spd, I could see him taking the Z to 50 mph. After that however The Z would start catching up, not at a very fast pace, but he would catch up.

Sure Dave most of what you say is true but let me ask you this.
Do you really consider a sprint to 50 MPH a race?
If I had a dollar everytime someone pulled up beside me at red light and shot off like they were at Englishtown I'd be very wealthy. I just giggle as they fly off because I know just as soon as they get to the rest of there buddies theres gonna be stories like " You should have seen it, I waxed an SVT with my Nissan"

I know people with SS LT1's and they are plenty stout. There very capable of holding there own. You put equel drivers in stock cars and its gonna be one helleva fight for the SC to win. But sure it can happen, just not easily.

"he's got some goodies done"

The aftermarket for Z28 and f-bodies for bolt-on's must be 10x bigger than ours so getting a 93+ Z28 in the 13's isn't that hard at all. We spend twice the money just to make the same trap speed and bolt-on's are scarce.

Would'nt trade up mine for a Z28 though, no way.( Even though it's running like crap and Im broke trying to fix it)

Youre not doing something right then. Throwing money at it wont solve anything. Learn some skills and use them to your advantage. You dont have to have a bunch of mass produced things to make the SC get up.

My brother has a 2002 trans am ram air and I have a supercoupe and there is no way I can beat this car. I agree that this guy was not racing you at all. Trust me!!

hey it depends on many factors

ive stayed even with a newer z he had no idea how to launch it he smoked em bad then let off then punched it again while I did my two feet of burn out, grabed major traction,

shifted perfectly, in the end we were side by side,
now if he wasn"t pulling that airstream he would have ate me up lol,

all true exept the last line about the air stream.
they kick butt and if the person driving is atleast a cruddy driver he will whomp you,stock for stock.

z28....

I race anything just for the rush of it. I usually always plan on losing even though i say to myself "ill kill em!" ... id never expect to win to a newer style z28 with my stock SC, unless the driver is just clueless. so i guess im just agreeing with u guys :) but jeez yea there are soo many factors. temp, age of car, how it's running..... freaking everything.
-Damon

Do you really consider a sprint to 50 MPH a race?
Not a race really, but I was replying to the assertion made previously that if an SC beat an auto Z28 0-50 that the Z wasn't racing.

I am not naive about Z's or SC's. I do know that I can beat my buddy's highly modified 12.1 sec LT1 6spd 0-50 with my XR7. I also know that I beat him years ago when his LT1 SS was bone stock (14.5 @ 95 to a 14.8 @ 98). His car later ran 13.9 @ 101 bone stock, but it took a lot of practice and some really cool weather to do it.

My brother has a 2002 trans am ram air and I have a supercoupe and there is no way I can beat this car.
A 2002 R/A T/A is NO comparison to an LT1 auto. The LS1 is very quick, and very responsive to mods. I don't know how fast your SC is, so I can't comment on whether or not you have a chance against him, but I do know that the T/A is *capable* of 106mph in the 1/4. Now how *quick* it is depends on driver and other factors. I also know that 13.7-14.1 is very common for an LS1 with an inexperienced driver behind the wheel.

Back