Ignition Assembly

i just replaced the ignition switch which costs about 8 or 9 bucks at autozone. mine wasn't starting once in a while. the ignition switch was broken in 3 pieces. the new switch works great. it is not difficult and takes about 20 minutes tops. you will need a tamper resistant torx bit to take out the 2 bolts. i used the haynes manual to do mine and it was pretty easy. you DO NOT have to pull the steering wheel to change the switch or the lock cylinder contrary to the haynes manual.

Hey NMXR7SC. When it wasn't starting, before you fixed it, would the dash board light up? Would electricity flow?

i would turn the key to start and get nothing sometimes. most of the time i had to turn it all the way forward and then let it come back a little and it would catch and start the car. eventually, that trick didn't work anymore so i fixed it. yes, the accesories would run just turning the key forward. catching the starter was the hard part. i replaced the brake light switch before that but it wasn't the problem. what problem are you having?

freakish starts

The yellow check engine light and the fuel pump kick on at the same time when all is well and the electrical is on but mine is sporadic. I had the fuel pump and the sending unit replaced and it worked fine for about two weeks but it just started doing it again. I'm wondering about ignition coz the assembly is pretty slippery and sticky and I'm at wits end with everything else.

well, as my old man says, start with the cheapest fix and work your way up. i'm not familiar with fuel systems or sending units but the ignition switch is a pretty easy job. good luck.

Back