putting in new radiator and t-stat tonight

supercharged95

Hey guys-
Finally got my trans back in, downtubes on and cranked over the bird last night. When it finally warmed up coolant started leaking out. Called O'reillys and am going to be getting a fresh radiator tonight for a good price. I figured while It's out I'll replace the thermostat and the upper and lower radiator hoses. Is there anything else that I should replace while the radiator is out?

Hey Mike- When I say leaking I'm referring to steam pouring out of the radiator and what appears to be a leak.
I haven't replaced my balancer yet, nor do I have the resources to do so, but I assumed my radiator could be removed w/o having to deal with the balancer. Is it that much more difficult with the balancer in?

You dont have to remove the balancer to remove the radiator, that would'nt be any help at all. I think you misuderstood Brianas.
He meant it was easier to pull the balancer while the radiator is out of the way.

If you have steam coming out of the radiator with the cap installed you have a leaky radiator. Get it fixed as soon as you can. These cars do not have enough reserve capacity built into the cooling system for that problem not to bite you real hard if you keep putting it off.

Hey Mike-
Thanks for clearing that up, now that I've re-read it that does make sense. To fix my leaky radiator problem I'm buying a new radiator today and installing it tonight, I figure that should solve my problem. :D

I don't know if I would replace the thermostat unless it is bad. The housings on these cars are notorious for leaking after they have been tampered with. I replaced the thermostat on mine a couple years ago and have since reinstalled the housing 5 times trying to stop the dribble. I have changed the housing, tried different gasket types, checked everything with a straight edge, etc.

I finally threw in the towel and goobered a bunch of silicon in there. That stopped the leak, but now the timing cover is leaking coolant.:rolleyes:

Might wanna try some "Redline WaterWetter" for some added heat transfer protection. 8oz bottle will do ya. GL.

Back