Running Hot and Low Idle

Melon

SCCoA Member
Have two seperate problems, may be related, may not be. This is for a 94 5 speed :confused:

1 - Temperature runs hot - gets about half way between the M and Hot on the temp gauge, then fan kicks on and it comes back down to the R or M. It didn't start doing that until recently after the harmonic balancer was changed. Could it be sticky thermostat? Any other thoughts on that?

2 - Low idle. Turn the A/C on and it kills the car. After the car is warmed up, it still idles low. When it dies, it starts right back up. Is there a way to adjust it to it will idle higher and not die when the A/C is turned on.

Any help/suggetsions/advice is greatly appreciated, both from me and my dad.

-Andy "Melon"

also

Sometimes the relays crap out for the cooling fans....there are two of them, and the fan wont work properly unless both of the relays are good.....they are at the back corner on the passenger side against the firewall, right by the AC accumulator....they are a bit of a pain to get out...but pull them off the metal braket and offtheir clips and check them both with a meter...
--You should get continuity between the two smallest pins that run the little magnet.
--and between two of the others when the relay isnt energised.
--then (you may need somone else to help you)....check to see if the relay still works by running 12 volts through the two small pins, you should hear a click.
--while its switched/"click'd" check with the meter to make sure you have continuity between the other half of the switch....that is the pin that nothing connected too, before should connect to something now.
--If the relays work completly...meaning it switches and the switch connects on both sides.....then i guess something else is to blame...but from the sounds of it one of your relays is no good and the other works....otherwise your fan wouldent turn on at all.

relays are hard to describe without diagrams...I hope i explained it well enough incase you dont know how they work....but im sure you can find info on how they work on the net too:)

Hope this is your problom....I recently had both of the relays in my car crap out I bought new ones put them in and now its fixed

Keith

Back