brake warning lights

ThunderDave

Hey, I need some help. A few times within the last week or so, the brake light and anti-lock lights have come on during braking and then go out. The brakes themselves still feel good. As I am a new owner of a supercoupe, I'm not familiar with the abs system it has. Has anyone else had this problem or have any suggestions or ideas about what's going on with the brakes?

Thanks a lot!

David

91 SC, red ext., gray cloth int., air box removed, B&M shift kit, spoiler, more mods planned

Yes, The brake accumulator is bad. Look under the brake fluid resavioure(spelling) and you will see something that looks like a large black light bulb. Thats the accumulator.
You can get a new one from Prioreman mfg.
That reminds me: I need to get one as well.
Thanks for the reminder.

Hey guys,

Thanks so much for the replies and info about the warning lights coming on. How much does an accumulator run? And yes I think I'll go ahead and get it fixed before I have a can't stop situation. I'm glad to be of assistance in reminding you, thanks again for letting me know what my problem is with the brakes.

David :) :) :)

Is it just me or are those little white lines on the road going by really fast?

Contact Prior Remanufacturing 1-800-444-4821 www.priorreman.com and tell them you need an accumulator for the "Teves Mark II" ABS. The cost around $100.00, but not replacing it will cause the pump to eventually fail costing much more.

Brakes

Thanks for the info about Prior Reman. , I'll check that out. Sure don't want to let it go too long and end up costing too much to fix it. Thanks again.

David

Sure putting it off can wear the pump motor out by having to run constantly to keep brake pressures up. The biggest concern though is that you could suddenly without warning have NO brakes and thats not good. Gettem fixed real soon.

accumulator

I saw something back to the inside of the master unit up against the fire wall. It was a rounded black bulb looking like thing and it has a allen screw on top and has a warning about the brake fluid being under pressure. Is that the accumulator?

Thanks for the info Mike, I'll get it fixed asap.I've got several other things I'm working on to. Being a SC, I hear that is common on these cars..

A bad window motor, a noisey shock a bad AC line, and a speedo that doesn't work. You can tell I've got plenty to keep me busy.

The accumulator will be first on my list beacuse if you can't stop, what's the point in going fast. Know what I mean????

David

If we're all going somewhere, let's get there soon.

That "black bulb looking like thing and it has a allen screw on top" is the accumulator. Don't forget to de-pressurize the system before you unscrew it...

brake lights

I've got a chiltons repair book for the car, so hopefully I'll be able to do it correctly. Thanks for the help.

David

Be sure and pump the brakes several times with the ignition key shut off until it gets real stiff then just unscrew the accumulator and install the new on. Keep your fluid topped off.

brakes

Ok, I'll remember to do that. You sound as if you've done it before or maybe several times. Experience is often the best teacher. I can probably learn as much from you guys on here as I can from that chiltons book. The book does have pics and diagrams though. Anyway, thanks for the info. I'll post it when I've gotten it replaced.

David

Re: brake lights

super91coupe said:
I've got a chiltons repair book for the car, so hopefully I'll be able to do it correctly. Thanks for the help.

David
I don't think the Chiltons of the Haynes books cover replacement of the accumulator. Only places I've seen it were the big shop manuals.

brakes

Hey TbirdSCFan,

You are right. I just looked in the book and it has r&r for the master clylinder, nothing about the accumulator. Will the system need bleeding after I install the new accumulator?

I guess the book will be no help. I'll have to depend on you guys on here to get me through it. I'll post when I get the accumulator and when I'm ready to switch it out.

Thanks,

David

I know what youre talking about. Helms manuals and this site are the only places I could get any usefull info on SC's back when I was learning and still to this day.
I have ALL those other manuals and the only thing they have been good for is leveling tables.

No you do not have to bleed the brakes.

brakes

No bleeding. Ok, cool. Yeah, I've got a lot to learn about this car. After just over a month of having it, I feel I've already learned things about it that I didn't think I'd need to know. This site along with the peeple who post tech. info are a lot of help and I'd be lost without ya.

Thanks very much,

David

Ok, last night on the way to work, the warning lights came on and stayed on. The brake pedal became as hard as a brick. At the same time, the ride control stoped working, the fan blower and rear defogger stopped working and the turn signals as well. Is this because of the accumulator going out or should I be looking for something else. I checked some fuses, but they looked fine. Got any ideas? I'll go ahead and order the accumulator, but will that get the other things working again?

Any help will be a big help. Thanks!

DAvid

brakes

On the prior reman site you told me about, they have an actuator . listed. Is that the same as the accumulator and what I need?

Thanks,

David

Prior Reman doesn't list the Accumulator on their site. You will need to contact them at 1-800-444-4821 and ask for Rick Fletcher. Tell him you need an Accumulator for a "Teves Mark II" ABS. The "Actuator" listed on the site is the complete ABS Hydraulic Assembly.
(Be sure to mention that you learned about them from the SCCoA!!! We need to let this supplier know that we are promoting their products so they will continue to offer them. Good aftermarket suppliers are hard to come by for these cars.)

Back