AOD Shifting Problem...

tbirdman

I have a '92 SC with the auto transmission, 129,000 miles.

Yesterday while driving to work, I had a problem with the idle. The idle shot up to around 1200 rpm while stopped, and while driving I had to virtually step on the brake to get the car slowed down. After I got to work, I dropped the car off at the Goodyear shop next door (I know I know, bad decision right off the bat) to see if they could find out what the problem was. 5 hours later, after I had to call them, they told me that they didn't know what the problem was with the idle (go figure), but they found a downshift linkage (?) had come loose, and they fixed it for me (thanks???).

Well, I got on here last night and read a few messages about the idle problem, and most everyone answered that it probably was the IAC valve that was causing the high idle. So I went to a local Ford dealership, bought a IAC valve, a replaced the one attached to my throttle body. Lo and behold, idle problem solved!!! (Thanks to all the knowledgeable people who answer posts on this website!)

Now, though, I have a problem with the transmission that I don't know if it was caused by me changing the IAC valve, or by the knuckleheads at Goodyear doing me a favor and re-connecting this downshift linkage.

Under moderate acceleration from stop, I feel the shift from first to second gear, but I hardly see any change in the tachometer. When shifting from second to third gear, the rpms will drop from @2000 rpm to @1800/1900 rpm for 2 or 3 seconds, then again to @1400 rpm. For fourth gear, the transmission won't even shift from third to fourth unless I let off the gas at around 2400 rpm.

Strange thing though, under easy acceleration, the transmission seems to shift fine.

Sorry for the long post, but I felt I needed to give a little background about my problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

tbirdman you did a very good job explaining your problem.
The Goodyear guys did do you a favor by reconecting that cable, its not a kickdown cable its the TV cable.(stands for throttle valve)
The TV cable controls the pressures in the valvebody of the tranny in relation to throttle posistion, if they had not reconected that you would have burned the tranny up within 2 miles.

Take your car to a good tranny man and tell him you need the TV cable set. This needs to be done as soon as possable, the life of your tranny depends on it!
Make sure they use a pressure gauge to set it. Have them set it at 35 PSI with the engine at idle and the tranny warm and in drive. Make sure its at 35 PSI, the setting is very sensative so make sure its on the money.
DO NOT drive the car for anything else until you get that set.
Your tranny is on borrowed time until you get that set.
You've been warned:

Back