View Full Version : Speedo sticking

08-08-2003, 09:03 PM
Okay, this just started yestersay. The speedo woudl stick around 50-55mph, but once over 60 it would come loose and work normal as long as you were above 60. When slowing down, it woudl hang up around 50-55 again until under 40mph when it would drop ad work normal at low speeds. This was on my way to work. After work, it was still doing same thing, the the area it would stick at cover more numbers, and it woudl stay at around 55-60 until almost completely stopped, but would work fine till you got up to 50mph then anything voer 70mph would work fine. Today, on way to work, got in the car and noticed speedo was tuck at 60mph. Hit the dash a few time but didn't move the needle. Started it up and drove away, Needle never moved till I hit 70mph on the freeway, then it woudl be fine, but now won't go below 65mph at all, but works fine over 70. Any help would be appreciated.

08-08-2003, 09:06 PM
Happens once in a blue moon and what I do is something I shoulndt but it works. I kick the car where the trim stops under the steering wheel by my feet It works every time. Im not saying this is the right thing but if your stuck not knowing how fast your going then try it, its worth a try at least. Im stupid sometimes but smacking a tv will make lines go away y'know:rolleyes: :D

08-08-2003, 09:28 PM
I'm all for beating stuff into submission. I work on electronics for the Navy, and it's my Motto.

08-08-2003, 09:39 PM
try it it works for me! others here would say im an idiot, but hey I know how fast im going:D :D

MIKE 38sc
08-08-2003, 10:04 PM
Does it stick and stay stuck even with the engine shut off?
If so its time for a new speedo. There electric on these cars, no cable.

08-08-2003, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the replies, but I fixed it. Did a search for tips on removing the cluster and one of them talked about the exact problem I'm having and it was a sticker stuck in the gears. Pulled my cluster, removed the speedo, and sure enough, there was a sticker stuck in the gears. Grabbed the hemostats, pulled it out and the speedo works good as new now.

MIKE 38sc
08-08-2003, 10:41 PM
Well I'll be damned! I've never heard that one before. Thank you for the info. I just added it to my SC info library.
Glad you got it fixed.