Brake accumulator replacement

Scott Long

Assuming I have the part, do I just unscrew the old accumulator and install a new one? Do I then need to do a 4-wheel brake bleed? Will it leak or spray brake fluid?

When I hit my brakes in my 90 SC the BRAKE and ANTI-LOCK lights come on. If I hit them slowly and steady no lights but if I hit them quickly the lights come on. The pedal is kinda stiff also. I was going to get the part from Prior Remanufacturing. I just don't know what all is involved in changing this since I've never done it before.

pump the brakes (key off engine off) a bunch of times until the pedal is pretty hard and doesn't feel like it has anything left in it (you will be able to feel it) then just unscrew the old one and pop the new one on. not sure about bleeding, but it couldn't hurt.

If you are going to go through the trouble to bleed, I'd also consider changing out all of the brake fluid completely if it is older than 3 years old. It's good maintenance to help the longevity of the rest of the brake system.

I have replaced three of the accumulators and have not had to bleed the brakes. Leave the key OFF and pump the brake pedal at least 30 times, then remove the accumulator slowly as there may be still some pressure left.

Jerry

Scott,
The old accumulator is going to drip a little bit of fluid after you take it out, so you may want to have a bucket to put it in. Also, I strained my neck and broke the allen wrench tool trying to use one of the folding sets to unscrew to ball. Use an allen head attachment that snaps into a ratchet for ease of removal.
Tom

Back