hg safty

robert

to all the experts out there, just bought a new early model sc auto with around 40000 miles on it . exhust is custom from manifolds on back, intake is done, am i good to go on the head gasket issue or should i do anything else? how long did i extend the life of it more or less? this car is a keeper, very nice ride. thanks bob

robert said:
to all the experts out there, just bought a new early model sc auto with around 40000 miles on it . exhust is custom from manifolds on back, intake is done, am i good to go on the head gasket issue or should i do anything else? how long did i extend the life of it more or less? this car is a keeper, very nice ride. thanks bob
Bob, I would recommend that you do a radiator flush. Flushing the system will prolong the life of the HG's.

Calvin

Heat kills the headgaskets. Don't let it run hot.

That being said, the factory headgasket design sucks. If you take basic care of it the gaskets should last between 100-200K miles. They will eventually go out though. The Felro replacements are a different design that is MUCH better.

Electrolysis is the big killer of the headgaskets, its not the designe. You cant get away from it and eventualy you will have to replace them if you dont blow them first.
If you take good care of the cooling system and dont put too much boost to the motor start looking to replace them at around 100,000 miles.
Every engine made with an iron block and alluminum heads does this, its not just an SC problem.
Use distilled water in the cooling system so they will live the longest.

I flush out my cooling system and change my coolant once a year. It helps prevent electrolysis.

I also run a 10% overdrive SC pulley but I have a ZR intake and stock exhaust manifolds, no cats, and the flowmaster exhaust kit. No problems here. I did do the cooling fan mod and I'm going to run a cooler t-stat just to keep it on the cool side.

Good point Scott! I foregot to mention that one.
Use distilled water and change the coolant every year dont overboost the engine and the HG's will live as long as they possably can, but eventually you will have to deal with blown HG's
just like any other Bi metal engine.

When they eventually blow have the heads milled and ported and polished (or get bigger valves, etc... depends on what you want this car to do) and make sure to get the Fel-Pro brand head gasket set. If you are mechanically inclined and do it yourself you'll save. I've seen most people pay between $850-$1500 for a head gasket job and most of it is LABOR.

If you plan on upgrading to a performance cam and ported big valve heads before you blow the head gaskets, you will still need to replace the gaskets. The Fel-Pro gasket set is around $120 and comes with everything you'll need. You will also need to replace the head bolts or get a set of ARP head studs.

Back