Teeny Weenie Whining

thewood

I got this noise and I'm not sure what's causing it but I'm sure it's coming from the AOD. When driving the car there's a teeny weenie whining (almost sounds like high pitched radio static) that come from around the gear shift. It gets slightly louder when I hit Drive and is inaudible when I hit Over Drive. When in third, If I put my hand on the shifter sometimes it gets a bit louder and other times it goes away. Anybody know what's causing that?

Whining

I cannot tell you what it is on your tranny, however in addition to my '90 SC, I also have an '88 Bird 5.0/AOD and the pump is whining in it. Slightly noticeable when not against a structure, but very noticeable when near something. My wife and I bought the car in '91 with 66K on the clock, and now with 199,500, I have her parked in the garage. She is due for a complete rebuild. Mods await. In any event the tranny never let go, or leaked while it was the daily driver. I guess take that with a grain of salt, however I do wish you luck.

Well since the shifter is not connected to the tranny by anything other than the cable it sounds like theres something loose in the shifter itself, since you say the sound changes once you put your hand on the shifter. Sounds like your shifter is making the noise not your tranny.

MIKE 38sc said:
Well since the shifter is not connected to the tranny by anything other than the cable it sounds like theres something loose in the shifter itself, since you say the sound changes once you put your hand on the shifter. Sounds like your shifter is making the noise not your tranny.
Thanks for the clarification. Since it's not the tranny then I'm not so worried about it. Should I just turn on the radio and forget about it? :rolleyes:

Back