Clutch experts, NEED help!!!

Bigme574

Ok, I am helping my friend with his clutch in his 89SC, I did mine in my 91, everything went great. Our problem is that we cant seem to get any pressure in the slave cylinder, there it is a BRAND NEW cylinder. There are no leaks or anything like that in the line. We have tried many bleeding procedures to no avail. Now...is it possible that the cylinder is bad or there is some other sort of mechanical problem??? We have the driveshaft in, and are reluctant to reassemble the gas tank and exhast for fear that we will need to take it all off again. ANY HELP WILL BE GREAT. Possible other bleeding procedures or any other suggestions. the car has been on jack stands for a few weeks, and can not afford to take up much more time for the sake of the garage space. Thank you in advance.

Aaron

You could have a problem at the master cylinder.

The first thing to do is to make sure you have all the air out of it. It's a fairly small piston and it's range of travel is not that large. So if there was a lot of air in the line, plus the new cylinder, it could take quite a bit of time to bleed it.

I would start by verifying that fluid is moving through the line. remove the coupling and make sure you squirt hydraulic fluid through the line at a decent pressure.

If that's working then it is somewhere after that fitting that the problem is. And certainly it could be an issue with the slave cylinder.

Never tried to pump fluid through the line when it was not connected, but it seals itself when you remove the line from the slave, so nothing would/should come out.

I installed a new slave cylinder in a Ranger and had to press the throwout bearing back against the slave while having someone push the pedal while also releasing the bleed screw. It was a 3 person job but that was the only way I could get it to bleed.

I did another one on a Ranger that bled very easily, Go figure.

Jeff

Back