? Concerning Rear Upper Control Arm Bushings

SeanMatteson

Hi gang! I need your help once again.

I'm in the process of swapping in a set of Eibach lowering springs, and Bilstein shocks. I've also got a polyurethane rear knuckle bushing kit. I had noticed some slop in the upper control arm at the driver's side rear corner, and I've got new inner control arm bushings (the eccentric bushings). As it turns out, when I got the control arm out of the car I could see that the metal eccentric insert was broken.

In the case of these inner control arm bushings, does anyone know how you're supposed to get these out of the control arm, and the new ones in? Does it require the use of a hydraulic press?

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about...

Thanks in advance,

Sean

Attachments

• eibachs&bilsteins - 018.jpg
    eibachs&bilsteins - 018.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 218
Yes. You should be able to take it to any machine shop and have it done. Most tire shops have the equipment also.

I was able to do this without paying a machine shop or automotive repair shop.

First, I pressed the guts of the bushing out with a two-jaw puller. Then, I cut the metal sleeve that's left behind, and removed it from the control arm. Finally, I installed the new bushing using a couple of large sockets and a big hammer. They're in there just like the originals from Ford, without any damage whatsoever.

See this thread for more information:

Spring/Shock Swap (with new rear bushings)

Cheers,

Sean

Back