oil around back of blower?

sho taurus

mechanic said there is oil around back of blower and car won't idle once warmed up.car lobes and wants to cut off till u spray carb cleaner around back of blower and sides.replaced intake gasket and still doing it.is there someway there can be a leak in the back of blower?no apparent holes or cracks visible around back or underneath...anyone have any suggestions?

Shoot the cleaner on the 2 needle bearings in the back of the blower, other than that you have to have a crack or something in the housing if youre 100% sure none of the joints in the system are leaking.:confused: How did you seal the flange that connects the intake plenum to the blower?

Last edited:
do u mean the the flange in back with the three bolts going thru it.there was a gasket in the kit i bought (fel pro).also they needle bearings where are they located at?

No not the flange that goes down into the intake manifold that one uses the gasket you spoke of. I mean where the plenum(the peice between the throttle body and the supercharger) bolts right to the blower. There is no gasket for that joint you need to use Locktite gasket eleminator.
Look at the back of the blower right above where the plenum bolts on and you will see what appears to be 2 round plugs pressed into the blower housing. Thats the needle bearings.
I dont know you have something strange going on there.

If you have oil on the intake manifold under the rear of the blower then the flange I'm talking about has to be leaking.

Last edited:
Here is an exploded picture of the SC mounting on a 89. You can see all the points that fit together that could impact air leaks.

SC fluid is quite different from engine oil. It should feel different and smell different. So the mechanic should be able to isolate if the fluid loss is from the engine or the SC. (Checking the level in the SC also is a good way to be sure).

Later models are similar, but the shape of the openings are different (larger).
scassembly1.jpg

Have them check the PCV system, it sounds like it is not connected or a the rubber hose may be cracked or disconnected. That will cause both of your problems, oil from excess blow-by and a bad idle from an open crack case vent. The bad idle would be like having your oil filler cap off (unmetered air) and trying to idle your car. Good luck

Back