Maybe a stupid question but I want.....

Jeff Bratton

to know what is the jackshaft pulley is connected to and why is it called the "Jackshaft"? Have been asked that question a few times and could not answer that question correctly!

Would appreciate anyone input?

Thanks
Jeff B.

jackshaft

SYLLABICATION: jack·shaft
PRONUNCIATION: jkshft
NOUN: A short shaft that transmits motion from a motor to a machine, especially in an automobile.

Essentially in the SC it is an intermediate shaft that transmits power from the crank pulley up to the supercharger. It is located under the AC in the same bracket and the shaft runs on a bearing in that bracket.

It has a dual pulley and two belts. One belt goes from the crank pulley to the jackshaft and another goes from the jackshaft to the supercharger pulley.

Most people vary the speed of their supercharger by putting on a smaller pulley on the supercharger. Another way to do this is by varying the sized of either pulley on the jackshaft.

That's funny - somebody just asked me the same question on Sat, and I didn't know the answer either...:confused:

Thanks George! :)

Yes.. Same here. George, I thank you for that info as well.

BTW... I wish you success in the control of the SCCoA and keep up the good hard work.

Jeff B.

The real answer is ...

Jack designed it so he named it after himself, calling it the jackshaft.

LMAF!!!!

You know something.... All thought Georges answer was the right one, but as I got to thinking about it, I was reading about that same "JACK" and that same invention! hah! why didn't I think of that!! Thanks smart ***!! hehe!

Duane your a life saver dude!

BTW Duane... Hows the wheel stud thing coming along? I've been so busy lately, I haven't forgot about going to my speed shop in Southern Indiana here to have them check that out for me.

Hope to hear from ya?

I have had some bad luck lately on my Tranny... My OD bands/clutches have gone south on me. I'm getting another one from Bill E. An AC Street/Strip tranny in about a month here.

Well talk at you later!

Jeff

The car goes in this Thursday to have the hubs drilled out for longer/bigger wheel studs. The company in Australia made stock type longer wheel studs for the front but not for the back. They had longer wheel studs for the back but I would have to drill out the hubs. So, I might as well just have the shop here do it. Our cars just have a weird knurl size that no one carries. You have to move up to 1/2" wheel studs to get a longer stud, hence, the need to drill them out.

Are you going to the Shootout? If you are, you'll be able to check out my new brakes.

Duane -
If I can get the new tranny in before that time I would really like too come to the shootout.

Well, I'm glad that you are getting something done anyways on your hubs. I'm sorry that things did not work out for you in getting the correct knurl size. O'well... I think you will be happy once you have your shop guy drill out your holes and place the longer newer studs in anyways.

Hey, I'll talk to ya later.

Jeff

Back