Converted Abs To Regular

darkstar_one

hey i converted... well my dad converted it to a regular brake booster cylinder thingy because he didnt know to check the accumulator and he didnt bother to check because he thinks FORDs are Pieces of S***. well he took out the whole brake booster kit from a wrecked MUSTANG.

Well the problem now is that the pedal is sometimes stiff and u have to be extra cautious coming to a stop at somewhat high speeds. It feels like the car doesnt wanna stop sometimes.

Do i have to turn off the ABS computer or what? Or do i have to connect VACUUM hoses or what?

Dont know.. but sounds like a vacuum hose to the booster is either leaking, missing, or poorly connected.

The ABS computer is just along for the ride now; it has 0 to do with any part of the braking system so you can do whatever with it. Leave it unhooked; remove it; sell it; leave it installed so that you can one day put the ABS back in ;)

Its too bad that you now own an outcast branded POS car. If maintained, the supercoupe is fun to own, comfortable, and isn't any more a POS than any other brand. Im an original owner and while the list of things that have broken and worn out is lengthy, its still been very reliable. It also makes a difference when you are able to fix things as needed rather than have a pile of items all at once.

A lot of patience, some mechanical know-how, a sense of humor, and lots of questions on this forum will get your car running as good as new. There are some sharp Supercoupes out there, and not a single one of their owners thinks poorly of them.

i know the SUPER COUPE is fun... but my dad is the one who thinks FORDs are wack. Well i will check the vacuum hoses and stuff like that cuz man does it suck.

thanx.. any other ideas?

darkstar_one said:
i know the SUPER COUPE is fun... but my dad is the one who thinks FORDs are wack. Well i will check the vacuum hoses and stuff like that cuz man does it suck.

thanx.. any other ideas?

Tell your dad to fix it. Who knows what he cobbled together. But if he had done it right, it would just work.

No vacuum line means no braking.

The problem with this car is that if you are going at high speeds in boost you will not have braking since the system you put in works off of VACUUM and not positive pressure. It actually makes the braking harder when you are in boost. This is why GN's have the hydro-boost system (it's tapped into the power steering).

Jeff

Hmm, that's a good thought. Electric vacuum pumps can be picked up in salvage yards out of diesel powered cars. Diesels don't create enough vacuum naturally.

Back