Proud owner of a '93 SC

1FlyBrd

Proud owner of a '93 SC

Greetings and salutations,
I have just recently made a SC purchase, got ripped by the bank of course, but non-the-less happier than a fly in a room full of poo. I have just found this forum and wanted to say WAZ UP to all my newly found bro's. My SC is stock, white, and was owned by some old chick(big plus. So I think I have some room for mods. I was wondering...any of you SC'ers out there have any suggestions, ideas, or things that I should be aware of re: the SC? I would love the feedback.
Oh, yeah any of you guys near VA, or, are there any VA meets scheduled anytime soon? I would really like to see all the varieties of SC's that are out there. Especially to help me out with some of my ideas. Thanks for your time guys
look forward to meeting you guys in person some day!

Re: WATCH IT

DON'T KNOW HOW OLD YOU ARE BUT, WATCH THE HEAD GASKETS. I'VE BEEN LUCKY AND HAVE 108,000 ON MINE AND ITS OK. HERE'S MY LIST:

(1) IF LOW MILES, START RUNNING SYNTHETIC OIL, FLOWS BETTER, AND HELPS LUBRICATE THE HARD TO REACH SPOTS.

(2) CHANGE THE COOLANT!!! THE SC's ARE KNOWN FOR COOLING PROBLEMS EAPICIALLY IF ORIGINAL RADIATOR. FLUSH IT AND REFILL WITH DEXCOOL BY HAVOLINE (AVAILABLE AT PEP BOYS, OR OTHER AUTO PARTS CHAINS). DEXCOOL RUNS COOLER AND PROVIDES ADDITIONAL LUBE FOR THE WATER PUMP, ALSO LASTS LONGER. THE FLUID IS RED SO DON'T BE ALARMED.

(3) IF AUTO, CHANGE TRANNY FLUID.

(4) IF PLANNING TO REV IT ABOVE 4,000 RPM, THINK ABOUT GETTING A FREE FLOWING EXHAUST. THE STOCK EXHAUST IS VERY RESTRICTIVE AND SINCE AN ENGINE IS BASICALLY AN AIR PUMP, YOU CAN ONLY GET IN WHAT YOU CAN PUSH OUT.

(5) IF YOU HAVE THE RESOURCES, CHANGE THE THERMOSTAT TO A 180 DEGREE T-STAT AND ALSO, BIG HELP, ADD THE COOL FAN SWITCH BY MN-12 PERFORMANCE. THEY ARE LISTED IN THE SOURCES PART OF THIS SITE. HELPS YOUR FAN TO TURN ON THE FAST SPEED FAN WHEN THE RADIATOR HITS 200. NORMAL FAN TURNS ON AT 224 DEGREES, WAY TOO HIGH.

(6) HAVE FUN!!! THESE CARS ARE GREAT.

FEEL FREE AT ASK ANY QUESTIONS.

DON (EX-MECHANIC AND RACE ENGINE BUILDER)

Re: Proud owner of a '93 SC

Don,
Thanks, I really appreciate your input. Car has 83K and I am 30. Used to be a "parts replacer" not really a mechanic, but, I do know my way around an engine. Although I have never worked on an SC before. I imagine it will be an experience to remember. Don, I got a couple questions for ya, first, what brand thermo do you rec? Any favorites? What type of exhaust system should I purchase? Lastly, the cooling fan switch isn't adjustable? I would have to purchase the one you rec, right? I haven't had a chance to pressure check the cooling system yet, but I noticed the previous owner(old Chick) replaced the radiator twice inside of 2 years. (paperwork left with vehicle) Someone's
F'up at the dealership or possible future problems with car?

Back