I cant move!

epconey

i just replaced my realy and ignition switch and i went to go drive my car, and it would not move. I took it out of park and pit it in reverse and pushed on the gas and the engine only revs. It wont work in drive. I couldnt belive that. i work before my stater went out then after i towed it home while it was parked it failed on me? that doesnt make any sense. so of course i checked the fluid levels and their fine. Then i check my linkage and that work as well. I know that the car has alot of miles on it but it cant think of why it would stop working while its parked. can anyone please help me out?

oh and its an automatic.

Let me guess - you didn't get it put on a flat bed. I never let anyone pull my auto's.

I was waiting for Mike 38sc to reply and I see he already did.

Aaron

im not shure how it got towed other than a tow truck i was at work and my dad arranged it all. It was toed about 2 miles in town. i just want to know whats broke how and how it broke can anyone help, thanks.

Well not knowing how the car was towed theres not much I can say that would be anything but a poor geuss.
I'm not sure you could even use a standard tow truck with the SC without busting the bumper covers up. I NEVER use a standard tow truck I ALWAYS use a roll back.
Talk to dad and find out as much as you can detail wise about how it was towed and maybe we can figure out where to start looking.

Well I dont see how they did that without ripping the bumper cover off.
Now for the tranny problem:
I dont know what that could be, if it was working fine when you shut the car off theres nothing that could go wrong to cause it to completely stop working.
Check and make sure the shifter cable is still connected. Maybe just maybe the tow truck guy disconected it so he could put in neutral to move the car alittle so he could hook up to it. I dont know.
Maybe he did it because the car was locked and he couldnt get in it to put the tranny in N so the rear wheels would turn as he pulled it down the road by the front end.
Check and see if the shifter cable is still connected to the tranny lever.
Let me know what you find out.

Edit: Just noticed that it happened after you did some electrical work and before the car was towed. What year SC do you have?

Last edited:
Maybe a stupid question, but I'll ask anyways..
When the tow truck was pulling by the back (front end REALLY low to ground), could the Auto trany cooler lines got snagged or torn off causing low fluid level?? My old mopar wouldn't go anywhere when it lost about 2 quarts. Mine is a stick and not sure how the Auto's cooler lines are set up on the SC's. Just a thought.

the cable is fine. and its a 90 sc. i talked to a friend of mine who is ford certified he says i MIGHT be the splines. But other than that we are all clueless.

Stick it up on jackstands from the rear and put it into drive, reverse, 1st, second, third and see if any movement. If nothing, the transmission is shot. Most probably the output shaft. Does your speedo move even though the car doesn't?

Either that or the linkage isn't moving jack when you move the shift lever and it's a simple problem.

Of course, make sure the tranny is full of oil. If there's no oil, you won't go anywhere either.

Tow trucks usually use wheel lifts these days and should have had no problem grabbing the SC from the rear and not damaging the bumper cover.

Back