JB WELD on Window..Will it hold?

NorthrnSCownr

Have a friend who's 87 LX window fell off the tracks. I put a whole package of JB WELD to hold the two tracks to the window. Do you think it will hold? How does it do on glass?

I dont have alot of faith in it on glass.
Did those little plastic clips that are atached to the window break off? If so just take the window to a glass shop and they will install some new ones. There cheap.

Nope

The window was at the bottom of the door, and the tracks were at the top. Just "fell out" I guess. Didn't have any signs of breaking, just looked like the glue stopped holding and the clips went down without the window. So I put the tracks back on with the weld on the plastic in the track on the part of the window where it catches the glass, which almost appeard to be a plastic resin of sorts, and then covered between the clips and window with the weld as thick as I could for lack of anything better on hand.

I've used JB Weld (regular, NOT quick-set kind) for this repair with great results.

The trick is to thoroughly clean the glass where the clips adhere to, then scuff them up a little and wipe with alcohol. Make sure the window is raised completely after everything is together and let is sit for at least 24 hours before moving the car or lowering the windows again...

Thanks for the replies. I kept the window in the up position over night, and tried it out today, and it seems great. I wouldn't be suprised if however the bond breaks in time.
I didnt think of the rtv though, that seems to make sense too. :)

same here, used JB weld but only lasted for a couple of months.
I did it for the second time but with better prep, and used something called "adhesive" (I think? can remember the exact spelling) It is a cream that is suppose to make surfaces "bond better", i used it along with JB weld and had not had a problem ever since.

Use Acrylic Resin Adhesive -bonds to anything porous or non- porous,waterproof,very strong,fast setting(3-30 minutes),oil and gasoline resistant,good gap and hole filling.Synthetic resin based. part-liquid and powder. Brands:"3 ton adhesive" and "P.A.C -plastic adhesive cement"Tridox Labs,Philadelphia,PA and "330 Depend No-Mix Adhesive",Loctite Corp,Rocky Hill,CT. This should do the trick!

Thanks Steve.

Thats prob what I'll do when it comes apart again. Temp fix for him while he was out of town. Next time I'll do it right.

Back