Brakes ?

stocker 89

Rolling down Freeway at 90mph LOTS OF SMOKE BRAKES NOT WORKING PROPERLY. Drive home using E-brake. Let car set for four days. To give it a rest. Look! the hose the from the plastic master cylinder resivore to the accumulator is off at the plastic master cylinder resivore. So I I put it back on use plastic clamps. Fill with fluid Dot 3 . Took around 40 ounces to fill it.

When is the accumulator motor supposed to shut off? It is still runs every time I turn the ignition on. Is there a way to speed the process up by bleeding them or should I just let it do its thing?

Anybody know ?

Is it supposed to run all the time or does the accum motor have a relay that turns it off and on. I read a thread once that said it does eventually turn off and then comes on to pressurize system. Is this true?

The hydraulic pump should cut off when the pressure sensor/switch signals the ABS Pump Relay that the system has reached proper operating pressure. It could be that you have a leak in the system somewhere (fluid under the reservoir is a good indication) that doesn't allow for the proper pressure, or you could have a sicking relay that doesn't let the pump turn off.
The pump should kick on every time you turn the key ON (unless you only had it OFF for a couple of minutes) in order to charge the system. Are you getting any ABS or Brake warning indicators on the instrument panel during operation?

Thanks LjGriggs

It turns on with ignition but it doesn't shut off I have not drove or used brakes yet they were working good before i will give it more time.

How old is your accumulator? If it is 10 years old you might want to look at replacing it. It is a 15 minute job and you can get a new one from Prior Remanufacturing in TX for around $100. The accumulator has a rubber membrane in it that will quit working properly.

Also, get a new ABS Pump relay and try that. You can get one from most auto parts stores for about $5.00. When the relay goes bad the pump will continue to run. You can burn up the hydraulic pump if you let it go. Then you will have to replace the entire system.

The relay is located on the passenger side and is usually Brown. If you can't find the PN# post and I will try to find it for you.

Hope this helps.

Bob

As far as I know it is the original brake system. I have owned the car since 98. Never have had any probs untill now. it is not taking any more brake fluid. I will try to locate that relay tomorrow. Don't know about the abs light . Cause right now I am getting all warning and check lights and the constant beep when I turn the ignition on. It did go on when I lost the fluid. Thanks for the insight guys. Really apperciate it.

I just read another thread from you where you said that your car won't idle b/c of a problem with the fuel. Could you be mistaking the pump sound from a bad fuel pump with the pump sound for the ABS? You need to locate the source of the sound b/c it may be the fuel pump that you are hearing. Good luck

Hey VancouverBC Thanks for input. When I am setting in the car I can hear the fuel pump turn on and off . I have to get out and put my ear by the master cylinder to hear the accumulator motor. I have heard other noizes too from things that I didn't know even existed ever since I started doing KOEO TEST . It has plenty of fuel pressure. It seems to get so loaded up that It wont start again until I blow the cylinders out and I don't know why. It does have great compression readings.

Relay part#

Check with your local parts house for a GP Sorensen MR120 relay. This is a direct replacement for the ABS Pump relay (AKA "Brown Pump Relay"). The relay is located up next to the firewall on the passenger side of the engine bay, near where the heater hoses pass through the firewall. There are a couple of relays in that area, one is for the ABS computer and warning indicators on the dash, it is called the Accessory Relay (black and grey), the Pump Relay is dark brown and should have a label that says ABS Pump.

Back