remove air silencer

If you pull out your air cleaner, you will see three bolts. Pull those bolts and remove air filter housing. The air silencer is that big INTESTINE looking thing underneath as looking through the oval cutout in the fender. You pull it from underneathe the car. Mine was a bear to get out but I have heard people have easier time pulling a few screws holding front bumper on.

The ONLY thing I miss about mine was getting the nice cool air, other than from somewheres else like the inside of the engine bay as it is now. Anybody make a kit or mod to cut K&N filter area off from engine bay and make it suck cooler air from back through originaly designed hole?

Well I mounted my airfilter behind the front fender where the silencer once was.
Plenty of cool air there!

But in order to get the air cleaner down in that hole I will have to do a nice 90 degree turn correct before the MAFS. I thought that the MAFS does not function correctly with bends BEFORE the MAFS? Is this incorrect?

Or are you running setup like mine? See below..

I'd love to get my air cleaner back down in that hole away from the extreme heat from the engine. It may even help with cooling system wouldn't it?

Attachments

• air cleaner placement.jpg
    air cleaner placement.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 331
if you a buy a FORD FOCUS INTAKE it fits the path right and comes with the 90 degree turn to either put it before the MAF or after it.

look it up on ebay for 45 shipped. pretty cheap compared to other ones wanting 190 for theirs.

im thinking of getting me one.

Last edited:
To bad the 90 degree elbow that coes with the Focus intake is too small to fit onto the maf. I bought one and beleive me, I tried my damndest to get it to fit, but it just wouldn't stretch over the MAF inlet or outlet.

No bob mine is below that hole. Use a larger diameter bend there and theres no problem. You just dont want to speed up air velocity before the MAF or you will have problems. I made a 4" to 5 1/4" curved megaphone between the MAF and the filter.

well i mean u can go to the hardware store and buy a 90 degree PVC pipe and it fits. Ive seen some dude do it on his and it looks bad ***....

You can just fab up a heatshield for it. Here's a couple pics of one that I made for my splitport tbird.

splitty.jpg

motor1.jpg

-Rod

well i mean u can go to the hardware store and buy a 90 degree PVC pipe and it fits. Ive seen some dude do it on his and it looks clean...

Back