Idle speeds?????

PearlBird

In park my car idles a good 800-1000. but in drive it idles around 500-700 with a slight shuddering. Is this normal. What does your car idle at in park and drive?

The idle sound right, the shuddering does not. Could you explain more in detail the shuddering? Does it only happen when you put it in reverse? If so, prolly motor mounts. Also, what does your VAC guage look like. Sounds like a possible vac leak also.

Thomas

Lol, i think i'm dumn

THe vaccume gauge doesn read at 0 when at idle, it should shoudlt it. Reads at like -5 or more. Where do I start to look for the leak. My dad is a senior master ford mechanic, so he should be pretty helpful, but if i can jsut tell him what to do it would be even easier, thanks.

In drive at rest you should be getting between 18-20 in of vacuum.If you are looking for the leak spray brake cleaner on suspected spots of vacuum leaks.When the car idles faster then you have found the spot where it is leaking,use the air nozzle that you get with the brake clean to pin point the location.

I know this is an older thread but my car still does this...and now that im older and more knowledgable on this car, maybe I can describe what is happening better. When my car is in drive, and you have you foot on the brake, there is a slight shudder to the vehicle, mostly felt in the steering wheel, its not a huge shudder and the whole steering column isnt shuddering, but if you take you hands off the steering wheel, you can see the bottom of the wheel itself vibrating. I guess this could be normal, but as soon as I throw it into park or neutral, the shuddering stops, and the rpms move up about 100

Ditto on the engine mounts. What you are describing is exactly what mine was doing before replacing the engine mounts. Raise the hood on your car...start it and put it in drive.....put your left foot firmly on the brake pedal and give it a little gas. If you see the left side of the engine "lift up"......you probably need mounts.

Mack
92SC

I actually just got in from looking at the car, I had a friend put it in drive and the motor didnt shake or move......but I didn't know to try the brake and gas though...I'll try that and get back to you guys, Thanks for the help.

Back