Check guages light and low fuel

HSKR

Tonight when I was sitting in a drive through, the check guages light came on. All the guages looked good, but I am low on gas. Will low fuel cause the check guages light to come on?? If not, what coudl have caused it?? The oil pressure guage was at the M in norm, and the water temp guages was on the R in norm. Also, once the low fuel light comes on, what is the average distance you can go before absolutly having to stop for gas? On my truck, I can go at least 60 miles after the low fuel light comes on.

Check Guages

The low fuel light should come on around the quarter tank mark. The check gauges light comes on when you have approximately 2 gallons remaining. How far you can go on that last "quarter tank" depends on your driving style and the type of driving. Not to mention, FORD gauges (and many others I am told) are notorious for lasting a long time on the first quarter and then dropping like a rock for the last three quarters. My SC will go around 100 miles on the first quarter and then I get anywhere from another 100 to maybe 150 out of the last three quarters. Especially if I have my foot into it. I find the best results mileage wise for me is to fill it at a quarter or half tank. Hope this helps.

ur check gauges light? is it a RED ONE underneath the TACH? cuz mine has a CHECK GAGE that sometimes comes on or something like that is it the same?

My car, it seems I can go farher on the second half than the 1st half. I can easily get over 300 miles to a tank. The low fuel light didn't come on till about I hit 300 miles this tank. I usually just filled it up not long after light came on because I don't want to push the car to far and run out of gas. My last tank before this I averaged over 22mpg. Thanks for the reply, glad to know it wasn't anything serious causing the check guages light to come on.

Check Gauges

Yes, it is a little round red light that says check gauges. It's basically the final warning that it might be a REALLY good idea to stop and get gas. Beyond that, I don't know if it has any other significance.

22mpg huh? The absolute best I have ever gotten was the few days I had to commute between Groton, CT and White Plains, NY was 21.4. My average is about 17 or 18, although if I use the remote start a lot in the winter it drops to around 13. All the literature I've read seems to indicate I should get 22 city and 28 highway. A few of the guys and gals I've talked to on the boards have said they have averaged in the mid to high 20's. I was assuming that was mostly highway. Granted, I do have a pretty heavy foot getting up to speed. Once at the speed limit I drive fairly normal. After having this "3rd" engine (my 2nd) installed, I'm still not convinced it's running as well as it should. Although, I have been told several times it's just me and everything seems fine. This may be the cause of my lower average mileage. There's another thread where they compare averages and yours is on the high side. You must be doing something right.
:D

PS-Just noticed the caption for your pic. I have an AOD. Being a 5-speed probably makes a big difference.

Back