'92 SC new crate motor...check engine light

T

tjanels

Hi, I am new to the board here. I am looking at buying a '92 SC. The owner bought a brand new motor and has it installed. It starts and runs but the check engine light stays on. I know superchargers make a whining noise.......how loud is it at idle?The engine seems to idle smooth and all..... but there is a fairly high pitched noise even at idle. Is the blower really that loud at idle or is there something else wrong? I am going to see if the guy will let me take it to a Ford dealer and do a diagnostics check on it for $75.

He only wants $1500. The rest of the car is in good but not great shape. I figure $1500 for a Zero mile engine SC is a great deal, even if it cost me $500 to get it running right. Anyone have any insight for me?

Thanks

High pitched noise is probably a vacuum leak. The blower should be nearly silent at idle. A vac. leak could cause any number of sensors to read 'out of range' and throw the check engine light.

He has all the receipts for the engine. Don't get me wrong the rest of the car needs some work....a little surface rust on the rocker panels underneath the ground effects....I'll probably go through all the brakes and the exhaust might need replacing soon. It sounds like he just doesn't have time to finish it. He had like 6 cars in his driveway so I think he's just trying to unload it.

Hopefully it's just a vacuum leak somewhere that can be fixed easily.

Back