supercharger porting

lowflying90

I did about 2 hours worth of grinding porting out the V in top of the supercharger and where the plenum in the back connects to the supercharger.

I'm going to port match the plenum, and the throttle body while I'm at it.

Do people who grind the tabs that contain the bolts off also trim the bolts when they reassemble it?

What should i torque the bolts to on the front of the supercharger/rotors when i reassemble it?

Should i use copper rtv to seal the front of the casing?

Do you think its worth it to strip and polish the blower or should i just use VHT paint on everything to clean up my engine bay?

Thanks,
Jeff

Not a clue Bud. Id leave the blower painted and use the rtv. And a Chiltons Manual should have the torque specs for ya.

No a Chilton manual will not have those torque specs. I dont remember them off the top of my head but will find them for you and post them later tonight.

I also use Loctite 518. I torqued the bolts to 65 in./lbs. in a typical crossing patern.

Mike

Well yeah you could use that. I hope you put duct tape over the needle bearings so you dont get shavings in them.
What did you use as a guide to determine how much metal to remove?
You do understand that the blower works on 120 degree timing dont you?

Hey Jeff, Autozone has "New Ford Grey Engine Paint" It looks pretty close to factory paint. You might want to try that.

I may look into that gray paint, or a different color of high temp paint, or possibly strip the paint and polish it. Not sure yet what to do. I'm hoping the porting and polishing will give me 5-10 "free hp".

Jeff

well, with other intake changes you might pick up 15 -20 free HP, possibly 25-30 if your heads are opened up along with the exhaust. Have you done the exhaust on that yet. I would get it done before you blow the head gaskets. You could also pick up an oven from the Want ADs for like 35 bucks or something and powdercoat everything.

when all is said and done the mods in my signature will all be installed on my car instead of filling up the trunk and backseat of it.

once i get my heads, cam, blower and engine bay painted and everything bolted back together i'll dolly it to the exhaust shop to have the pipe bent. I have the headers, high flow cats and magnoflow resonator in the trunk. may go with 40 series flowmasters or borla mufflers.

Jeff

With all those mods that thing should MOOOOOOOOOOOVE!!!! And Id paint the blower to match the color of the car. If you had some extra $$$ Id have it polished. Polished stuff on my Stang gave it a whole new look even tho a lot of the stock parts are well over 30 years old. I even had the stock Rallye rims polished and they were way ugly before i had it done. Just and idea for something unique under the hood.

Originally posted by MIKE 38sc
Well yeah you could use that. I hope you put duct tape over the needle bearings so you dont get shavings in them.
What did you use as a guide to determine how much metal to remove?
You do understand that the blower works on 120 degree timing dont you?
Just curious, what exactly do you mean by "works"?...and what does that have to do with the porting he's done?

be specific if you will,

'bird

ps: lowflying90...I can fix that for you. :)

Here's one roughed-in
m90port2176.jpg

from the inside, still a long way to go...
m90port2236.jpg

Back